jeannemritz

My Macbook and my MH series 34" cutter

OK.  It's 2019 and I have the MH series 34" cutter.   I am having little to no luck with VinylMaster Cut....  so have been thinking about buying Sure Cuts A Lot as a better software.  However, I wonder why or if the new software will now connect my mac to the cutter??  If not, can anyone advise as to what will help with editing?  These days I have to use my cricut cutter for almost everything and it takes a great deal of time... 

• Sad 1

Inkscape.org   is FREE design software.    You could download FREE Signblazer, which has not been updated for many years.  OR upgrade your Vinyl Master to a better version.  

• Like 1

Are you running a windows environment on your MacBook? Vinyl Master is a windows only program. Cut is the lowest level of the program and pretty much only very basic options. Do you do design work on another vector program now? 

Nope.  Vinylmaster cut is the design software I began to work with....  now after some time I am seeing all of the issues and I want to make a strong decision as to what is best.  Unlike when I purchased the MH series cutter that will not work with my Mac and then instantly regretted it.  

I guess my real question is this:  can I buy a different software and then use my macbook with the cutter?   In other words, is the software what makes the cutter incompatible with mac products?

So if I hear you correctly you bought the cheapest cutter you could find that was also not compatible with your computer OS (states on main page not compatible with mac)  and then regretted not doing the research?   There have been post by some computer savvy people that got them to work with macs using various work arounds but no support is offered for the work around use as uscutter has been selling the mh for over 12 years I know of and have found it not to be stable/usable enough with mac - or they definitely would add that as a feature if there was a stable way to do it.   so options are 1 try a work around and take your chance and live with any glitches that come up, 2 do as Haumana has posted and bootcamp with a windows partition, 3 buy a cheap (under $100) pc just for cutting as the cutters require very little processing power to work,   4 upgrade to a cutter that is actually supported by the mac environment.

I am not an employee of uscutter just a long time user and forum member  - also I am not a mac user (tried them twice and ipad is as far as I will go into that environment) - also tested scalp and found it to be very much a crafters software and not signmaking - very clunky for me to use after using several signmaking softwares over the years including signblazer, flexi pro, vinylmaster, ultraflex, ve- lxi- master plus, graphtec pro studio

So I'm guessing you have not used your MH at all, because it's not supported on Mac?

Bootcamp, VM Fusion, or Parallel you computer with some version of Windows as the secondary. If you already have your Mac with Windows capability, then try Sign Blazer, it's free and it works! It's going to be a new learning curve, but all software is. I hate learning new software too :-\, but once I get the hang of it, it was worth the hair pulling and aggravation.

In other words, is the software what makes the cutter incompatible with mac products? In a simple answer - Yes. Not so much as the software, but the driver that allows you to communicate with the cutter successfully. Is there a way to possibly force feed the Mac to cut on your MH - possibly. But you'd need mad skills to know what to try, be creative to think of a gazillion workarounds, and super patient to try them all.

If you really want a cutter that will be Mac friendly, my advice would be to sell the MH, and get one that is supported for Mac.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeannemritz said:

Nope.  Vinylmaster cut is the design software I began to work with....  now after some time I am seeing all of the issues and I want to make a strong decision as to what is best.  Unlike when I purchased the MH series cutter that will not work with my Mac and then instantly regretted it.  

I guess my real question is this:  can I buy a different software and then use my macbook with the cutter?   In other words, is the software what makes the cutter incompatible with mac products?

If you are not using a Windows side.  How are you using Vinyl Master?  It is for PC  Windows  only.   The entire set up, Vinyl Master software and the MH cutter are to be run on Windows only. 

• Like 2

Haumana,

I have, in fact, used my MHcutter.  However, I find editing and cutting difficult in the Vinylmaster software.   Also, when cutting smaller pieces, the vinyl slips and "wonks" and I am just eating up vinyl. When googled, this cutter comes up in the top 10, and was recommended by a colleague.  But it just isn't working up to it's potential, so I am wondering if I spring for an upgrade of Vinylmaster or find a different software.  I would appreciate any helpful advice.... this cutter should do anything... 

I picked up a cheaper laptop to accomodate the Vinylmaster cut... but it is missing so many options I use in the cricut design (hard to believe) that I want to use when designing/cutting.

I did make a quick purchase of the cutter Drakotagrafx, on a recommendation from a local businessman.  (overlooking the incompatiblity, yes).  I did point that out, no need to shame one here.  

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If you are not using a Windows side.  How are you using Vinyl Master?  It is for PC  Windows  only.   The entire set up, Vinyl Master software and the MH cutter are to be run on Windows only. 

I am using a laptop I picked up separately  in order to use the cutter.     I am not as unintelligent as this quick purchase makes it seem.

1 hour ago, haumana said:

So I'm guessing you have not used your MH at all, because it's not supported on Mac?

Bootcamp, VM Fusion, or Parallel you computer with some version of Windows as the secondary. If you already have your Mac with Windows capability, then try Sign Blazer, it's free and it works! It's going to be a new learning curve, but all software is. I hate learning new software too :-\, but once I get the hang of it, it was worth the hair pulling and aggravation.

In other words, is the software what makes the cutter incompatible with mac products? In a simple answer - Yes. Not so much as the software, but the driver that allows you to communicate with the cutter successfully. Is there a way to possibly force feed the Mac to cut on your MH - possibly. But you'd need mad skills to know what to try, be creative to think of a gazillion workarounds, and super patient to try them all.

If you really want a cutter that will be Mac friendly, my advice would be to sell the MH, and get one that is supported for Mac.

Used it plenty.  It slips, wonks designs, and does not allow for editing and designing as well as the little crafty cricut.  I am looking for suggestions, informed and helpful, although I appreciate the slap down, don't bother with that in the future, it is a waste of my time.  thanks

Haumana,

I have, in fact, used my MHcutter.  However, I find editing and cutting difficult in the Vinylmaster software.   Also, when cutting smaller pieces, the vinyl slips and "wonks" and I am just eating up vinyl. When googled, this cutter comes up in the top 10, and was recommended by a colleague.  But it just isn't working up to it's potential, so I am wondering if I spring for an upgrade of Vinylmaster or find a different software.  I would appreciate any helpful advice.... this cutter should do anything... 

I picked up a cheaper laptop to accomodate the Vinylmaster cut... but it is missing so many options I use in the cricut design (hard to believe) that I want to use when designing/cutting.

I did make a quick purchase of the cutter Drakotagrafx, on a recommendation from a local businessman.  (overlooking the incompatiblity, yes).  I did point that out, no need to shame one here.  

e kala mai - I apologize if it came across as a slap down, it was definitely not my intent.

I just wasn't sure, based on your OP how you were running you MH.

Cutters do what it asked, and the differences between cutters tend to be more the quality of cut, not necessarily the behavior - unless you're trying to send a huge file to it, and the cutter just doesn't have the memory capacity to handle it properly.

If you like your MH, and want to figure out how to get it running better, then that's kind of a different conversation. You have Windows, so I would recommend you download and try Sign Blazer. People make fun of it because it's kind of antiquated compared to others, but it's functional and effective. I've been using for over 10+ years, and it hasn't failed me. I now have access to more high-end cutting software, and am trying to school myself on them, but in reality, SB does what I need it to do, without fail. Give it try. It's free, and it'll only cost you a little time and effort, and apparently there's a manual for it too (which I only learned today :blink:)

6 minutes ago, jeannemritz said:

I am using a laptop I picked up separately  in order to use the cutter.     I am not as unintelligent as this quick purchase makes it seem.

At no time have you stated you are using any Windows program.  only Mac. 

1 minute ago, haumana said:

e kala mai - I apologize if it came across as a slap down, it was definitely not my intent.

I just wasn't sure, based on your OP how you were running you MH.

Cutters do what it asked, and the differences between cutters tend to be more the quality of cut, not necessarily the behavior - unless you're trying to send a huge file to it, and the cutter just doesn't have the memory capacity to handle it properly.

If you like your MH, and want to figure out how to get it running better, then that's kind of a different conversation. You have Windows, so I would recommend you download and try Sign Blazer. People make fun of it because it's kind of antiquated compared to others, but it's functional and effective. I've been using for over 10+ years, and it hasn't failed me. I now have access to more high-end cutting software, and am trying to school myself on them, but in reality, SB does what I need it to do, without fail. Give it try. It's free, and it'll only cost you a little time and effort, and apparently there's a manual for it too (which I only learned today :blink:)

Thank you!   That is the kind of feedback I was looking for!

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

At no time have you stated you are using any Windows program.  only Mac. 

Because I wanted to rule out the Mac usage before I commit to the little windows laptop and the very crappy Vinylmaster cut

6 minutes ago, jeannemritz said:

Haumana,

Never meant to try and shame anyone, just simply stating ease-of-use facts. If you are more versed in Mac, then really, it is worth considering selling it for a Mac-friendly machine.

If the MH is misbehaving, I don't think it's because of the software. The cutting software is basically WYSIWYG, so if it's clean on screen, the cutter should be able to cut it clean. Slipping is something mechanical and you'd need to take a look as your MH itself, as to why that's happening. I'm not sure what you mean by "wonks" <- not shaming, just truly perplexed. If you could post a picture and/or video of it, we might be able to better help you.

2 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

So if I hear you correctly you bought the cheapest cutter you could find that was also not compatible with your computer OS (states on main page not compatible with mac)  and then regretted not doing the research?   There have been post by some computer savvy people that got them to work with macs using various work arounds but no support is offered for the work around use as uscutter has been selling the mh for over 12 years I know of and have found it not to be stable/usable enough with mac - or they definitely would add that as a feature if there was a stable way to do it.   so options are 1 try a work around and take your chance and live with any glitches that come up, 2 do as Haumana has posted and bootcamp with a windows partition, 3 buy a cheap (under $100) pc just for cutting as the cutters require very little processing power to work,   4 upgrade to a cutter that is actually supported by the mac environment.

I am not an employee of uscutter just a long time user and forum member  - also I am not a mac user (tried them twice and ipad is as far as I will go into that environment) - also tested scalp and found it to be very much a crafters software and not signmaking - very clunky for me to use after using several signmaking softwares over the years including signblazer, flexi pro, vinylmaster, ultraflex, ve- lxi- master plus, graphtec pro studio

Wow.  I am really just looking for constructive, experienced feedback.   I did say that I regretted the purchase which begs the question. "why do you feel the need to hand out a slap down?"    Keep that to yourself, thanks

Ever make a mistake?   Ever just take a leap?  Ever have a lifethreatening disease ... and a need to go big?    Please don't bother with me.  Move on to targets that will bring you the satisfaction you need.

2 minutes ago, haumana said:

Never meant to try and shame anyone, just simply stating ease-of-use facts. If you are more versed in Mac, then really, it is worth considering selling it for a Mac-friendly machine.

If the MH is misbehaving, I don't think it's because of the software. The cutting software is basically WYSIWYG, so if it's clean on screen, the cutter should be able to cut it clean. Slipping is something mechanical and you'd need to take a look as your MH itself, as to why that's happening. I'm not sure what you mean by "wonks" <- not shaming, just truly perplexed. If you could post a picture and/or video of it, we might be able to better help you.

It slips... the pinchers are adjustable, which I am sure you know.. but they don't seem to secure the vinyl being cut.  A piece smaller that 24" wide will slip and turn, causing the cut to be lost.

We have been on here for years and this vinyl cutter,  MH series is a bottom of the barrel vinyl cutter.  We have already mentioned that.  Better software will not make a  cutter run any better.  I stated at the beginning all the problems with this cutter.  We have seen hundreds of buyers come in here and state all of their problems.  This is why we tell buyers to at least purchase the SC2 or better. 

Just now, jeannemritz said:

It slips... the pinchers are adjustable, which I am sure you know.. but they don't seem to secure the vinyl being cut.  A piece smaller that 24" wide will slip and turn, causing the cut to be lost.

So it is likely I need better software.    Annnddd a pincher adjustment.  Because I don't always cut 24" or bigger.    Sometimes I make smaller designs.

1 minute ago, jeannemritz said:

Show us how you have it set up under the pinch rollers.  Pictures?  

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

We have been on here for years and this vinyl cutter,  MH series is a bottom of the barrel vinyl cutter.  We have already mentioned that.  Better software will not make a POS cutter run any better.  I stated at the beginning all the problems with this cutter.  We have seen hundreds of buyers come in here and state all of their problems.  This is why we tell buyers to at least purchase the SC2 or better. 

I have been on here for ... days.   Google states this cutter in the top 10.

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

Show us how you have it set up under the pinch rollers.  Pictures?  

One at each end of the vinyl, and the third in the center..

Experienced feedback is exactly what you got. We can't fix the problems you are having.

You made a boo boo, we can't fix that.

You have had a lot of suggestions, but it seems you want to fix what can't be fixed.

Buy a cheap windows computer for well under $100.