X1ArmBanditx

plotter upgrade advice

hello all! new to the site, have been a tshirt forums member for a bit now tho..

so ive been using my cameo 3 since i came out and really wish it would take a crap so i force myself to buy something bigger. the cameo does what it needs to do for the most part but i want to get into larger decals and from reading i gather i can get smaller fonts and finer detail with a servo moter machine..

ive read graphtec all day but my budget is closer to the titan 3/titan 3 SE(SE is looking good)

what is the dif between them? they are both titan 3s but one is special edition and all im seeing that is special is that it is black and somehow for this special edition it is cheaper which doesnt make sense to me if its "special"...what am i missing? also just curious why they recommend the graphtec ce6000-120 with azt kit for cutting window tint..i kinda like the idea of getting into precut window tint but anyway just curious at this point about it.. one think im racking my brain about tho is the prices...regular titan 3 on uscutter is $1295...the SE model that is "better" is on sale for $1104 but reg price is $1299, only a $5 difference so anyone in there right minds buying one would get the SE right? is there something that isnt included with the SE model or something because if it new and improved why such a small price gap of reg price i wonder...
i got to looking at uscutter site and on the reg model it mentions the vacuum hold down system and the pics ive found i can see the vacuum holes...on the uscutter page for the SE it does not mention the vac. hold down system and i cant find a clear picture of the thing showing the vac. holes..

im sure im going to get the "buy the graphtec!" but is it really that much better? will i be happy and better off than the cameo if i get the titan 3 SE....TIA for any opinions and info

I have not owned a Titan but a servo motor machine will be a distinct improvement from what you have. That being said, like all things there are differences in servo motors also. If I were considering spending $1300 on a Chinese made machine I would still step up the other approx $400 or $500 to the Graphtec and the better components. (I guess if you are looking at the 120 series that number is possibly higher) but most make due just fine with a 24" cutter. I'm not trying to up-sell you just re-stating the adage to buy the best cutter you can afford. 

Heck I don't even own a Graphtec myself I spent even more when I upgraded but a friend once told me "The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten" and I have found that to be true on both ends of the spectrum whether it is an awesome high end Summa cutter or a piece of crap Harbor Freight nail gun that I somehow thought would be the exception. 

This was just posted yesterday, from a Titan 3 owner, who bought a used Graphtec 

"i do have to say I like the cut quality of the graphtec over the Titan 3.  Corners are a bit sharper and cuts are more consistent.  I basically run that thing 3 days a week for 6 hours at a time in 5100 series reflective and it just eats it up.  The blades are lasting quite a bit longer (same company, same degree...) " 

but is the graphtec 700 bucks better... just having a hard time spending the extra 700 if the titan 3 SE is not far behind the graphtec..the reviews ive seen make it look really nice and in one review the guy said its built to last for years like the graphtec....arrgg decisions decisions

Uh, your budget is your budget.

I can't afford to eat at Ruth Chris Steakhouse, so I go to Golden Corral.

NOTE: When I first opened my sign making retail storefront, I used the MH for years. One day I tripped over the USB cable and broke the port, resulting in a need to grab another machine immediately (went with the SC, arrived in two days, which was great, as I had jobs sitting on hold). To this day, I use the SC and it's fine.

• Like 2

I bought my FC7000-Mk2-75 new in 2008,  Paid $3000 .  I have NEVER had a problem with it and cut almost daily.  I had my cutter paid off in about 5-6 weeks. The cutter still cuts like new.  That is 11 years on a $3000 investment,  I have NEVER had to replace anything other than blades, which last about 9 months.   I turn my cutter on and I know it will cut correctly every time.  My cutter is a 30" so I can do larger jobs in 1 piece that others cannot.  Even after 11 years.  I would not have a problem getting  $1500-  $1800 out of this machine.  Because it still cuts great and it is a Graphtec.   Plus it has the media basket.   Also my family owns  2  Graphtec CE5000-60, 7 years now,  and never problems. 

• Like 2

you could check out used Graphtecs also.   Some people just never get a business going and want to sell. or have to sell.  

• Like 1

I too do not have any version of the Titan, but started off with an original LaserPoint. I was happily doing my own little thing with that machine, and believe me, it's paid for its self time and time again. Since it was going on 10+ years, I decided to upgrade and get a "back-up" machine. I stepped up to a Graphtec - huge price difference, but a machine in a completely other ballpark! The accuracy of the cut, and minimal drift (as compared to my LaserPoint) is a huge difference. A bonus is that a servo motor is soooo much quieter than a stepper.

When it comes to cutters, you get what you pay for. If you don't have the budget for a Graphtec, then get what you can. If you're thinking about cutting window tint, then you have to get a machine wide enough to do that. If that's something that were only going to do for more personal reasons over professional, then I would tell you to spend the money on getting a better machine, not a wider one.

As far as the price difference in the Titan SE, my guess is because is probably because it's not a current model. It's probably discontinued and/or being phased out.

* I don't cut for a living like many of the other people here. I'm simply a hobbyist who has been doing this for over a decade. I've made money simply by word of mouth and my machines and materials have more than paid for itself.

• Like 2

I've owned p-cut, mh, copam, several roland the graphtec cutters and a titan2 - I chose the current graphtec ce6000-60 over all the others because of accuracy and reliability.  There is a reason why so many of the old timers have moved up to graphtec and stay there 

• Like 1

The  TITAN 3 SE is the newer model with improved features stated on their ads,   AND is ONLY  PC compatible.   If you have a Mac, you would NOT buy the Titan 3 SE.   The Titan 3 is both PC and Mac compatible. You choose your cutting software from the drop down box when you make your purchase. 

Introducing Titan 3 SE, the newest iteration of professional series vinyl cutters available exclusively through USCutter!

All the best features of Titan 3 with some technological improvements and a more user-friendly interface! Titan 3 SE comes in a variety of sizes to suit your desired media width.

Improved media feed and tracking...Easier-to-use control panel...Solid stand with roll feeder and media catch basket!

• Improved media feed system in catch basin to allow better tracking for long cut jobs.
  • Redesigned control panel offering simplified button layout and easier menu navigation.
  • Auto Media detection feature (see below for more details).
  • Included stand with roll holder, media feed, and material catch basket!.
  • For use in daily production operation.
  • Servo motor provides a high degree of speed and precision for quiet cutting of the smallest fonts and finest details!
  • ARMS continuous multi-cropmark detection and printer barcode-scanning for the ultimate affordable print-and cut solution!
  • Plug and play. Simple installation, no additional drivers necessary.
  • Windows 64 bit enabled.
  • 2 Year Warranty.

This is the Tint kit, for the Graphtec AKZ  to stop static  from window Tint

The CE6000–120 AKZ comes installed with Anti–Static Cords for front and rear which reduces the static electricity that is so common with tint films that can restrict media movement. Plus, its High–End Servo Motor delivers accurate cutting (up to 450 g) of heavy materials such as paint protection films - making it the perfect solution to any tint and paint protection shop that wants to explore the vehicle graphics world. Each unit also includes: floor stand, dual media catch basket for dust-free cutting and anti-static cords.

check out Ebay and Craigslist.  Other online selling venues.    I picked up a great deal on an FC8000-75 this summer for 1k and free ship.    It sold new for $4300.  Runs great.   Where do you live?   You gotta keep your eyes open and have the money to pounce on it.  

i check craigs hourly lol..theres a 5100-130 for 1500(asking) but thats it..i have all the top brands in my search...quad cities..southeast of chicago