Urabus

What clear application tape for Oracal 951 vinyl?

12 hours ago, jmas said:

This may sound dumb, but for something that small, try doing it without any transfer tape at all. Just cut the stripe, peel it off the paper, wet it, put it on, get it in the right place and squeegee it.

do you have a video of you doing that with 951 by chance?  to show how it is done with a cast vinyl.  an educational video would be great

• Like 1

I did a test yesterday with my hard squeegee wrapped with ( $1.20 ) self adhesive felt from a craft store.  I was able to get my 651 vinyl to stretch over some basic compound curves and come out smooth.  The squeegee with added felt made a huge difference : )  The hard thin edge of the bare squeegee was actually making creases for me instead of smoothing them.

I received my sample rolls of tape today and tried  a new application with Transfer Rite medium clear tape and my original 651 black vinyl.  The stripes went on perfect and there was no need to use the 951cast vinyl this time.  The 951 was more glossy than the 651, not a perfect match, so that is why I decided to try it with the 651 first and it worked : )  The compound curves are subtle but I still had to split the graphic stripes apart as it rolled over the second bend to keep the graphic from bunching up toward the middle.  More pronounced compound curves would need the 951 vinyl and paper tape I could tell.  Anyway I forced the 651 to work and it did this time.

My home made felt squeegee is not as smooth as it should be, but now I know which type to order next to do It right.  The attached pic is reduced to 1/10th original pixel size so it might make the stripes look wavy....but they are not.

NOSE.jpg

Sure hope you put some serious heat to that 651 on the compound curves. It will crack and release in a few days if you didn't. I will release and crack in a week even if you did heat it.

And I am not talking hair dryer heat.

Just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Urabus said:

I did a test yesterday with my hard squeegee wrapped with ( $1.20 ) self adhesive felt from a craft store.  I was able to get my 651 vinyl to stretch over some basic compound curves and come out smooth.  The squeegee with added felt made a huge difference : )  The hard thin edge of the bare squeegee was actually making creases for me instead of smoothing them.

I received my sample rolls of tape today and tried  a new application with Transfer Rite medium clear tape and my original 651 black vinyl.  The stripes went on perfect and there was no need to use the 951cast vinyl this time.  The 951 was more glossy than the 651, not a perfect match, so that is why I decided to try it with the 651 first and it worked : )  The compound curves are subtle but I still had to split the graphic stripes apart as it rolled over the second bend to keep the graphic from bunching up toward the middle.  More pronounced compound curves would need the 951 vinyl and paper tape I could tell.  Anyway I forced the 651 to work and it did this time.

My home made felt squeegee is not as smooth as it should be, but now I know which type to order next to do It right.  The attached pic is reduced to 1/10th original pixel size so it might make the stripes look wavy....but they are not.

NOSE.jpg

2 things to keep in mind - the 651 will shrink over time as the calandered is stretched and not formed like the Cast is - so it might look ok now but wait a year or so - if you have ever seen a wrap job on a work van where the vinyl has shrunk and pulled out of the creases - you get the idea.

part 2 is if you are using different vinyl on the same car -the 651 will not be as glossy as the 951.

On your hood stripe you might not notice the shrinking so much as there are no creases or hard curves ( your bumper has a much harder curve, but in a year look at the edges for the glue showing where the vinyl has stretched

Good luck with that.

Be prepared to replace that quickly. It's 651, the curve and the heat will be its enemy, not to mention that you stretched it, which it's already stretched to manufacture it.

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

On your hood stripe you might not notice the shrinking so much as there are no creases or hard curves ( your bumper has a much harder curve, but in a year look at the edges for the glue showing where the vinyl has stretched

Do you think it will endure nicely for a year?

1 minute ago, haumana said:

Same thing I said, maybe a week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, haumana said:

probably depends on the climate - right now we are at 0 and heading down to -14 by Wednesday - betting it shrinks more than in your climate

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

probably depends on the climate - right now we are at 0 and heading down to -14 by Wednesday - betting it shrinks more than in your climate

If it is 651 without heat, never mind the climate. It may not last the night.

Can't make this stuff up. (where is the emojis?)

I would give that upper graphic longer than that mike, but the lower ones be the driving lights are another story.   Either way I wouldn’t sell bodega panel graphics to someone else in 651

9 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I would give that upper graphic longer than that mike, but the lower ones be the driving lights are another story.   Either way I wouldn’t sell bodega panel graphics to someone else in 651

For sure, I was taking about the lower ones he said was 651. Hood, ya maybe a year or 2 with 651.

• Like 1

Well a year, or not. whatever the case - great application!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, haumana said:

Well a year, or not. whatever the case - great application!

I agree. Especially with 651 knowing how stiff and unyielding that stuff can be on anything not flat.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

do you have a video of you doing that with 951 by chance?  to show how it is done with a cast vinyl.  an educational video would be great

I don't have any vinyl videos, but it's as simple as I described. It obviously only works for solid shapes.