Guest i need a hero

Need help setting up COPAM 2500 in signblazer

Guest i need a hero

recently acquired a used COPAM 2500, trying to start this bad boy up has been frustrating. 

everything works so far but when I go to cut I get this error : "Can not open the output device. Error intializing."

installed drivers, downloaded signblazer, using windows 10, my ports match. However I am using a serial cord with a usb adapter. does that matter?

much praises and thanks for any help. 

Just any ol' serial to USB will not work on a vinyl cutter.   The only one that always works is a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter.  And check out the user manual in UScutter.com support, if you have not already.

Find the best price. example only

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPP-LITE-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-Free-ship/273641976846?hash=item3fb655340e:g:ekYAAOSwdHpcMaHO:rk:9:pf:0

Guest i need a hero

sorry, me again! 

will any old serial cable work? Or do you have recommendations for that as well? 

Guest i need a hero
2 hours ago, bikemike said:

Does the copam need a straight or nul modem serial cable?

Will make a difference.

^^ not sure I know what this means :P

thank you both for your help! will retry these steps tomorrow when my brain has recovered. 

Guest i need a hero

Me again. 

So I learned this thing needs a straight serial cable. Also I got the adapter you recommended. However, I'm dumb. The adapter side is male and the port on my copam is male as well... is that normal? Do you recommend an adapter for that as well? I cannot find any keyspan usb adapters that are female.  It seems like this adapter works better than the last cord I was using, but I still get the same error. 

the keyspan plugs into your computer - the serial cable for the copam plugs into that and runs to the adapter - that is where the gender change occurs as the cables are generally female on both ends 

• Like 1

Guest i need a hero

Ok so Under my Port is says my drivers are configured as Null, I assume that's wrong. How do I configure as Straight?

Post a pic of your screen where it tells you that.

Your computer should have no idea what cable is hooked up to it.

(to a point, as in usb or serial)

Guest i need a hero

Ok actually I think I was confused this is what I saw. 
image.thumb.png.b23e802b560c90c41e4d8087ac20830a.png

image.png

Guest i need a hero

I think I'm messing up trying to install the the FTDI drivers. I follow all the steps and download the CDM exe. However, I don't have "USB Serial Adapter" under universal serial bus controllers like they do.

the keyspan doesn't use the flaky ftdi chipset - they have a different one and looks to me like you have that installed without an issue - now for the proper cable - I don't know if the copam used a straight or null model cable but they are not interchangeable.  also as I recall the copam had it's special serial cable and not a generic  one.   hopefully someone that has used one since I sold min over 9 years ago is around to answer

From your screen shot, it appears your computer has a comm port, have you looked on the back of your computer for a 9-pin sub D connector? If you have one, there is no need to use the usb adapter, you can plug directly into the computer through the comm port. 

Guest i need a hero

Ok, I'm determined to get this dang thing working.

Dakotagrafx- Thank you, that is helpful info. So your saying I don't even need any of that ftdi drivers because keyspan already has some, could it be possible those drivers are causing an issue and I should uninstall them? Also, I'm pretty sure it uses a straight serial cable. I'm not sure what you mean by special cable but it sounds like this adapter I bought is working for other people. This is the one I'm using- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VYJRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haumana- Yes I'm not sure what your getting at. I'm set up the virtual comport to be 2 because it started as 5 and flexisign only goes up to 4. I would have chose port 3 (as in the example in the install pdf) but it said in use. Not sure how to tell what its being used by or how to change what ever is using it, or if it even matters.

darcshadow- I do not have a 9-pin connector and I believe that port is reffering to my DVI-video port that I have a vga adapter plugged into for my monitor. If somehow that would be useful I could switch my monitor to hdmi port.

THanks Everyone! Lets do this

The keyspan is the correct adapter (and came with it's own drivers) but the serial cable from the adapter to your computer is the one I refer to = I can't remember if it was a null modem serial cable like the mh uses or if the copam needs  a straight cable - one is not compatible with the other 

just read an old post in the copam sections and found this as the guy had the same problem as you

Copam CP series uses a straight serial cable, and not a Null-modem cable as other cutters

Guest i need a hero

Yes, and I'm using the cable that came with the Keyspan. Shouldn't that be the right one? If not how do I even find a straight serial Usb to Keyspan cable?

the keyspan is the usb to serial and the best one we have found - it is the cable from the keyspan to the plotter that has to be a straight cable and not a null modem cable - heck I didn't even know the keyspan came with ANY serial cables

if you are referring to the one that amazon recommends that is the wrong cable as it is a null modem cable

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.