Rwhite412

Best Cutter for the money

Hey, 

I'm looking into a good vinyl cutter that will be good for lettering the side of trucks and making other little srickers what's the best all around printer looking to spend no more than $600

Hi, good question -----   (drop the word "printer" from your vocabulary, just a friendly suggestion).

Since you did not specify the size of these trucks, it's hard to evaluate the size machine you'll be needing. Most likely, a 34" unit is appropriate (for using 30" vinyl rolls ----  with a practical cut width of 28.5" max.)

SC2 *34" USCUTTER model is $460 plus shipping. Then, you can add some consumables (vinyl and app tape). BOOM, you are beyond $600.

Here is the app-tape dispenser I've built to handle the 30" materials (clamps onto 3' x 8' costco tabletop).

DSCN0763.JPG

• Like 2

Whether your tapes, vinyls, accessories are inclusive or exclusive of your budget - get the best cutter that you can afford.

Determine the size you're going to realistically need, and determine if getting a smaller, but better cutter is right for you. Depending on the design, you might not need to get everything on one pass of the vinyl, and might want to, or need to, do it in several runs.

Wide vinyl is awesome - taping it and application can be not so awesome.

*edit: I really, really need to proof read before posting. how does anyone understand what i'm saying? :blink:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, haumana said:

Whether your tapes, vinyls, accessories are inclusive or exclusive of your budget - get the best cutter that you can afford.

Determine the size you're going to realistically need, and determine if getting a smaller, but better cutter is right for you. Depending on the design, you might not need to get everything on one pass of the vinyl, and might want to, or need to, do it in several runs.

Wide vinyl is awesome - taping it and application can be not so awesome.

*edit: I really, really need to proof read before posting. how does anyone understand what i'm saying? :blink:

What? You saying you write in pigeon? I figured that was just a Hawaii thing and rolled with it. O-K den. :laugh:

• Haha 1

If only I could blame it on pidgen :lol:, but this tita should know better - la'dat.

• Haha 1

To the OP: I would probably agree with Slice.The SC2 is a good choice and either the 28" or the wider 34" offering should do you pretty good to break into the scene. The Laser point doesn't seem to offer much more in the way of accuracy that I can ascertain. The laser pointer is not really all that useful.  That being said if you can see your way to scraping up enough to get the Titan servo machine which is the Titan 2. The cost is more like 1K but servo motors are really nice. If you're not getting servo motors then the SC is the best bang for the buck. The ONLY one we tend to steer people away from is the MH. (this speaking as the users forum who see the issues people have)

• Like 1

As a owner of a MH, I can agree that it's best to skip it and go to SC or better. Not saying the MH can't be made to work, but it takes quite a bit of tweaking and fine tuning to get it to cut well and it'll never cut as good as the higher end machines.

Also, while the startup kit deals are attractive, in general they are not worth it. Just get the cutter you want, some app tape, and a few colors to start and you can figure out what else you need/want as you go along. There are a lot of tools that are nice to have but often times you can made do with stuff from around the house.

• Like 3

The MH is a "educational" tool that teaches you how to set up a cutter in all aspects and makes you appreciate the models more as you move up :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2