I'm not new to cutters, but new to Vinyl Master Pro and I just purchased the MH721, 28" cutter.  I'm not sure if what I'm wanting to do will work or not, but y'all will know I'm sure.  I'm wanting to be able to print something on my desktop printer, I'm assuming with registration marks and then take to the cutter and be able to contour cut on the cutter.  Is this possible or more trouble than it's worth?

It isn't something I'll be doing all the time, but often enough to want to try and make it work.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi, glad to be able to provide my take on this ---

The MH series of cutters doesn't have registration mark alignment capabilities (a so-called laser pointer).

Also, what material will you be printing on? Regular paper?

Personally I would have put my money into a better cutter,  not the higher end software.   I run a Graphtec on a bare bones cutting software.  Cuts great.  That  MH cutter is a bottom of the barrel cutter with many known problems.  Static, tracking, communication and memory problems.  That Pro software will not make that POS cutter cut any better than what it does.   Any cutter above would have been better,  with a servo being the best. 

Unfortunately, there is a substantial difference in price between the two machines, and if you're just getting into it - it's a huge leap of faith to fork out that kind of money.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy the LP because I was not willing to sink that kind of money into an unknown. What I would change is how long I waited before I got my Graphtec, I would have gotten it a lot sooner.

1 hour ago, haumana said:

Unfortunately, there is a substantial difference in price between the two machines, and if you're just getting into it - it's a huge leap of faith to fork out that kind of money.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy the LP because I was not willing to sink that kind of money into an unknown. What I would change is how long I waited before I got my Graphtec, I would have gotten it a lot sooner.

I started with a Seiki, which is still a lot better than that MH and could contour cut with it, if needed,    Flexistarter 8.6 v2 and above,  you don't need a laser. The contour cutting is in the software program.  Blade centered in the registration marks.   Will turn any vinyl cutter into a contour cutting machine.  

I've never heard of Seiki until I found this forum, but by then I had negotiated a means for USC to send a cutter to Hawaii. Didn't break the bank, but I definitely had to dial back the features because a nice chunk of the money got dedicated to shipping cost :-\

I'm just grateful that my local vinyl supplier was able to get it into a container that was already bound for Hawaii and didn't rake me over the coals for the shipping. Gotta save where I can! :P

Still a firm believer of buying the best machine for the budget. But any machine is still a foot in the door and better than no machine at all.

Welcome to the addiction OMC!

Seiki cutters are nice built machines, and not expensive.  Out of Sparks Nevada.  They provide the Flexi software with only Seiki drivers on it.   They sell other equipment also. Heat presses,  flash dryers,   I bought mine in 2006 and still have it.   They still sell cutters.    I buy all of my blades from them also. Including Graphtec blades.    34" cutter   $369.  FREE ship

Vinyl Master Pro  (as he stated)  runs around $475.  The money would have been better spent on the cutter, not the software. IMO..  Unless he got the software  dirt cheap.  

On 1/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, oldmountaincrafts said:

I'm not new to cutters, but new to Vinyl Master Pro and I just purchased the MH721, 28" cutter.  I'm not sure if what I'm wanting to do will work or not, but y'all will know I'm sure.  I'm wanting to be able to print something on my desktop printer, I'm assuming with registration marks and then take to the cutter and be able to contour cut on the cutter.  Is this possible or more trouble than it's worth?

It isn't something I'll be doing all the time, but often enough to want to try and make it work.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Are you wanting to print on paper and contour cut that? Or print on vinyl? With the software, and manually aligning your cutter you can do it, although not as easy as other machines. If you're wanting to cut paper you'll need a carrier sheet and I don't know how well any of them work with paper.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.