Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Toolboxes

We all use a variety of tools and accessories when working with vinyl. My preference is to keep the most vital items in a hand-carry basket/organizer, ready to go out onto a job site.

What would YOU want in the toolbox that just can't be left behind, once you are out of the studio doing an install?

(Not pictured -- RapidTac2 and rubbing alcohol)

DSCN0761.JPG

• Like 3

I avoid the required toolbox installation by never offering installation. Hahaha. Yes, I know it's unrealistic to others - but where I'm at, everyone and their mother has vinyl decals on almost everything, so they all think that they're professional installers. I just let them run with it, and give them a few pointers if they need.

But, if I had to do an on-site install - squeegee (all plastic & plastic/microfiber), scissors, cotton balls, alcohol, exacto, painters tape, laser level (if necessary), level, tape measure. Probably missing a few things. :lol:

• Like 2

I've also got string, a spray bottle with a little soapy water, a sprayer of rinse water, window cleaning squeege and some rubber covered magnets.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ShaneGreen said:

I've also got string, a spray bottle with a little soapy water, a sprayer of rinse water, window cleaning squeege and some rubber covered magnets.

see ... exactly, totally forgot app fluid. Hahaha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShaneGreen said:

Hmmm. Covered magnets.... great idea. Never thought of it. 

• Like 1

My 1st New Year's resolution ---  clean up that messy tool caddy! Can't believe I didn't do that already BEFORE taking this picture and posting it here, exposing my entire disorganized haphazard random assortment of stuff.

A few things in that basket are invisible in the shot, like my pair of reading (close-up) specs/cheaters. And the folding utility knife. Plus a grease pencil (blue).

That razor-scraper handle is a real Snap-On tool. I love it. If you ever see a Snap-On truck parked at a mechanic's shop, well worth going up into it and asking to obtain one.

I think I'm addicted to buying 12" rulers. Wood, plastic, metal, I've got about 8 of 'em. (The translucent ones you can see through are pretty useful).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slice&dice said:

That razor-scraper handle is a real Snap-On tool. I love it. If you ever see a Snap-On truck parked at a mechanic's shop, well worth going up into it and asking to obtain one.

So does it originally come with some sort of cover? It looks super duper but also like something likely to slice your wrist when you reach for a squeegee. I'll have to hit up the snap-on dude. 

• Haha 1

How do you think I got my Forum name?!!!!

But seriously, I inverted it just for the picture; the blade part normally is buried down into the tool carrier.

This thread made me think of another valuable 'tool' that I utilize on my jobs ----- a Job Sheet!  When I have obtained a client's info and details of the project (and 50% deposit), it goes onto my worksheet, which then slides into a plastic sleeve.

51iAOKF3QBL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Job Worksheet.doc

• Like 4