Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Meatballs, Baked Potato, Salad Bar, Seared Fish

OK, so I walked into a local restaurant (randomly just stopped-in to use their restroom). On the front door was residue from a decal that had been scraped-off with the name of the General Manager removed.

I inquired inside about who the new GM was, and could I talk to him/her. He pops out from the back and I explained that I'm a decal maker, would he like his name placed there on the door? Sure, he said, they were actually looking to have that done anyway, but hadn't gotten around to it.

How much did I charge?  I suggested that the restaurant just 'comp' me a dinner in barter. Very delicious! mini-Meatballs appetizers, stuffed Baked Potato, Salad Bar, Seared Fish.

• Like 7

That's the great thing about the cutter - people have no idea just what a great deal that I end up scoring when I barter :P

• Like 3

Haumana, I did consider it a very enjoyable deal, but it was EQUALLY beneficial for both sides ----  the establishment has a decal that will last for years (or until the manager is replaced again) while I obtained a meal that was consumed in 40 mins.

But you are right, that small scrap of white vinyl had basically zero value, and got traded for around $25 worth of menu items.

Normally I'm not a barterer, but this one was just too easy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Haumana, I did consider it a very enjoyable deal, but it was EQUALLY beneficial for both sides ----  the establishment has a decal that will last for years (or until the manager is replaced again) while I obtained a meal that was consumed in 40 mins.

But you are right, that small scrap of white vinyl had basically zero value, and got traded for around $25 worth of menu items.

Normally I'm not a barterer, but this one was just too easy.

I have done a few of those type things and most ended up in further business as well. 

• Like 1

The lesson here is ---  keep your eyes open and imagine how a business owner can benefit from signage (wayfinders are very important).

One hint, when doing exterior windows & door glass, keep in mind that people routinely use Windex to clean, and ammonia-based sprays leave a residue that resists vinyl application (the adhesive doesn't stick). RapidTac2 is excellent to pre-treat the glass.

(I also carry some RapidPrep ESPECIALLY for boat name lettering)

71I-efjD22L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2