Sign in to follow this  
Cwnosky

SC2 34" left side not cutting

Hello Everyone, 

I purchased my SC2 back in September knowing full well from these forums that it was in fact a value cutter. My needs aren't that of a sign shop or even a decal shop so I thought maybe given the relative low use I planned to use this for wouldn't be a problem and the issues I've encountered to date haven't specifically been with the machine itself with the exception of setting the blade, which I have since found the instructions posted countless times here. 

What I'm having issues with now is the width of my stencils are ~30" and as it gets to the 26" > 30" mark(right to left) the cut begins to get less and less eventually not happening at all. Now with the help of reading through all these posts I've seen similar issues listed here Carrier off track from shipping or incorrect blade setting etc. 

As  stated above I did initially set blade incorrectly and have since changed, set, reset multiple times following the directions of Mz Skeeter(I hope I spelled that correctly from memory) also I've checked to see if the carrier was on track and w/out completely disassembling the unit near as I can tell both wheels/rollers are in the correct channel. I'm really just looking for any assistance you guys can provide. I haven't contacted support as of yet, as I was hoping to draw on the vast knowledge of this group before going that far. 

Details:

• Windows 10 machine
  • SC2 34"
  • Cutting 5mil Duralar
  • VinylMaster Cut 4.0 - I've also had it making 2 passes/cuts 
  • Individual sheets being fed

Hopefully I have provided enough information 

Chris 

Also in the Setting up cutter guide it provided this link to a video on checking that carrier was on track which is unavailable. 

https://youtu.be/4EHPvnLYoI4

Hmmmm, the only thing I can think of is the cutting strip.

When I got my SC2, it was covered with a plastic protective strip (like tape) over the white nylon. That had to be removed.

Good to know, nylon strip not nearly as bad as I thought it was. Sadly however, this didn't actually fix my issue. Thanks though!

Thanks for the help. Just to give an update, sadly raising the force doesn't help. What I've done which doesn't fix my  issue but gets me cutting is simply rotate my designs and keep everything on the right half of the cutter. 

I was looking at it more and even manually pressing the blade down on the left side it doesn't go all the way down unless I adjust the blade out(a lot) and from reading here I know how you all feel about that so this seems like a decent compromise. 

I'm with Slice & Dice - sounds like a cutting strip issue. Have you ever gone off vinyl in the area that is not longer cutting? It doesn't take much for the cutting strip to go bad and start to cause problems. I've gone off the rails a few times (too many), and then it creates all kinds of difficulties for me until I change the strip. For my oversight in my own stupid mistakes, I always keep a spare cutting strip on hand.

If you have never gone off vinyl, I would still recommend you try pulling out the cutting strip and re-seating it. The lesson will be two-fold - 1. it may or may not be the issue, and 2. you'll at least learn how to change the cutting strip. At this point, it s free effort.

• Like 1

Here is my $0.02. I would pull the blade holder out and manually move the cutting head across the width of the cutting area starting at the side it's working well on. Lightly push down on the blade older bracket until it stops and take a precise measurement at several locations. You stated that the only way to get it to even touch the vinyl over on the far side was to extend the blade way out. I wonder if there is a manufacturing issue and the distance goes out of effective cutting range on the one side. You should get the same basic measure all the way across. If you don't then you either have a strip problem as theorized by my compatriots and it SHOULD be very noticeable just looking I would think. If not then the carriage rail does not parallel the cutting rail. The cutters regulate the pressure to the cutting surface and can basically float along applying equal pressure but if it goes out of the available reach it would give the results you are seeing. That would definitely a warranty issue in my book. 

• Like 1