Sign in to follow this  
DNA_Vinyl

Just begining...

My brother and I are looking into making T-Shirts. I have questions. I hoping there's there already a thread somewhere that you all can point me to.

What's some good pointers for a start-up?

Like temperatures for pressing the HTV on...or what type of shirt is good?(100% cotton, or Polyester blend)

Stuff like that. I already have a cutter I've been making decals for a white now so. I think I'm good there. Unless...do I need different blades for HTV? I'm starting to look at all the different heat presses now.

Thanks for any input.

time and temp is specific to each brand and specific product of HTV .  personally I prefer heavy cotton shirts but betting they are not as popular in the deep south.  many people today like the moisture wicking material but that is a harder sell for those of us that grew up in the 60's and the polyester craze - so again depends on your target market and location.

the section of the forum you posted in has hundreds of threads to look thru on tips, issues, etc - research is your best friend.   doing research and educating yourself is best so you are educated in what you are about to expand into

Same blades and generally same pressure as regular vinyl but a sharp blade is best, dull ones will sometimes skip across the HTV particularly with any stretchy variant. Mirror everything though or you'll be sad. I got so I mirror all my HTV files when I save them so I don't have to remember. 

Like Dakota said, each vinyl uses very specific heat, pressure and time. I tend to use Siser Easyweed and Easyweed Stretch so I run at the same temp, pressure and time. Lots of articles out there and videos too. I would highly recommend picking up an infrared temp gun to check your platen temp when you get your press. Even my $2000 Fusion was off enough I had to calibrate it. I don't know if you can calibrate the budget cutters or not. My original was a cheap swinger and it was way off. I just tested it and figured out what each actual temp I needed was in the machine and taped a conversion chart to the box so I would remember. Check your whole platen and set the temp so the coolest spot is at the proper temp.