Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Mele Kalikimaka!

Wishing everyone a Happy Holidays!!

I hope Santa was good to all of you. :)

• Like 2

Mele Kalikimaka my island sister - - -  everyone sick here and wishing we was there but only 4 months 3 weeks away!   save me some  mahi mahi 

• Like 2

nice! which island(s) are you checking out this time around?

Maui again - last time was too short and trying our first vrbo in the same complex as last year in ka'anapali 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Maui again - last time was too short and trying our first vrbo in the same complex as last year in ka'anapali 

Awesome!! Yup, there's a good amount of things to see on Maui, and everywhere you go - everyone is driving slow. Hahaha.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, haumana said:

Awesome!! Yup, there's a good amount of things to see on Maui, and everywhere you go - everyone is driving slow. Hahaha.

trying to talk myself into the sunrise adventure but 2 things is - it is expensive and getting up at 2 am is tough for me so still deciding - last year did the road to Hana and not sure on that one again too.   last year was labor day so pretty sure all the locals will be camping again on memorial day.   on any of the islands it isn't like you are going to speed too far :)

• Like 1

Hmm ... I love, love the sunrise at Haleakala, but in all honestly, haven't seen it since the late 80's. I still have the pictures of it (someplace around the house). It was breath taking, and ridiculously cold (for us local people). It was worth the early wake-up call, and I would do it again in a heartbeat ... if I were staying someplace closer. The drive from Ka'anapali is going to be a long one, but you can always hit up the one and only Krispy Kreme in Kahului we have in the entire state on your way back.

Another fun stop is Tasaka Guri Guri Shop. It's basically Hawaii's version of a sherbet. Maui Manju, Kitch'n Cook'd Potato Chips. Wow, clearly when I do travel, it centers around food. :o

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, haumana said:

Hmm ... I love, love the sunrise at Haleakala, but in all honestly, haven't seen it since the late 80's. I still have the pictures of it (someplace around the house). It was breath taking, and ridiculously cold (for us local people). It was worth the early wake-up call, and I would do it again in a heartbeat ... if I were staying someplace closer. The drive from Ka'anapali is going to be a long one, but you can always hit up the one and Krispy Kreme in Kahului we have in the entire state on your way back.

Another fun stop is Tasaka Guri Guri Shop. It's basically Hawaii's version of a sherbet. Maui Manju, Kitch'n Cook'd Potato Chips. Wow, clearly when I do travel, it centers around food. :o

always appreciate the tips - to drive up Haleakala you have to have a permit now so tour is about the only way for us non locals and about $180pp  .  As you know I search out the less touristy places to eat if possible so appreciate all the tips.    thinking since I scored free airfare will probably get a car for a week of the 12 days - really want to snorkel Molokini but as I found out last year trying to do an introductory scuba my bronchitis is being a huge factor in what I love to do at any given week

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

always appreciate the tips - to drive up Haleakala you have to have a permit now so tour is about the only way for us non locals and about $180pp .

:o

The Fed's website says that it's $25/car. Even the Annual passes are cheaper than $180

I can't believe they have to take reservations too. It must've gotten a lot busier than it used to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, haumana said:

:o

The Fed's website says that it's $25/car. Even the Annual passes are cheaper than $180

I can't believe they have to take reservations too. It must've gotten a lot busier than it used to be.

I'll have to do some more digging - when I looked a little over a month ago I thought it was pretty hard to get a permit to drive up anymore and very restrictive - looks like more research in order 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 11:21 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

I'll have to do some more digging - when I looked a little over a month ago I thought it was pretty hard to get a permit to drive up anymore and very restrictive - looks like more research in order 

Dakota, you ever figure out about the passes?

I'll be in Maui in a couple of days, figured it was just the $25 fee like always. Only restrictions I'm seeing in the 1.50 reservation fee for a sunrise.

I know the reservation had to be done shortly before the trip so I should be looking into it again as we are about 26 days out now - getting up at 1-2 am will be the hard part for me lol - I need to get back on there and find where to apply for the pass.

just looked and you can only reserve 2 days in advance and they sell out quickly from what I am seeing - this could be a challenge for the sunrise.   

which part of the island are you staying on intheshaw?

we found a food truck down by Kapalua that I want to find again - unsure if we are doing hana again  - loved it first time but nerve wracking for sure.   lots more exploring this time for us and depending on my lungs at the time would love to snorkel molokini

Staying in Kaanapali for a few days, spending most of our trip in Oahu.  Haven't been outer island in a few years and probably like Maui the best.

• Like 1