MiMiLi

Graphtec CE6000-60 Contour Cutting Observation & Question

I've not had any experience with contour cutting in the past and have recently attempted to teach myself how to do this for simple stickers to add to my product packaging. I use Illustrator CS6 with the Cutting Master 3 plugin. Since I'm an extreme tightwad, I tried using my laser printer and pen attachment to get everything set up, but immediately ran into difficulties with either scanning the registration marks or cutting accurate paths on the cutter. There were numerous different error messages, depending upon what settings I began with, but the bottom line was that I was NOT having any consistent results, neither good nor bad. Then I decided to try switching to my inkjet printer, which I rarely use because it costs so much more per print (did I mention I'm a tightwad?)... and... VOILA! I discovered that the Graphtec apparently does not like laser prints for contour cutting. As I said, I'm a newbie to this arena, so I'm just wondering if this is a commonly known issue? I haven't seen it in my searches here or elsewhere, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

From what I have seen, laser prints are a bit on the shiny side. The optic in a graphtec don't like that very much. You can play with the thickness of the marks and see if that helps. Thinner, probably better.

You are correct... The laser print is a bit shiny. I will try playing with the thickness to see what happens. Thanks for that!

20 minutes ago, bikemike said:

From what I have seen, laser prints are a bit on the shiny side. The optic in a graphtec don't like that very much. You can play with the thickness of the marks and see if that helps. Thinner, probably better.

Hmmm... Yeah... I started with 1mm and went down to .5, then .3, which is apparently as low as I can go, but no love. I guess I will have to print with ink if I want to do this myself. It might be cheaper to outsource. Thanks for the input though!

You can as a last resort, put invisible scotch tape over the marks to take the shine out. Has been known to work.

• Like 1

Just now, bikemike said:

You can as a last resort, put invisible scotch tape over the marks to take the shine out. Has been known to work.

Hmmm... I will definitely give that a try. Just have to find some, if I have it. The shiny stuff is cheaper, after all ;)