Grandwazoo

Registration marks

Question. Made a 3 layer piece. Had reg. marks on them but they came proportional to cut. Is there a way

to make them the same as the base so I could have lined them up? Ended up eye balling it. A little off but

still usable.

20181206_095422.jpg

I usually make  my own registration marks. I use a diamond or sometimes a + mark and place them where I want them. Once I have  them in place I group them and copy and then paste them in place again so there are a stack. One set for each color, then change the colors so each color layer has a set to go with it and when you cut out your designs they will each show up and all be in the same place. When you view the project you are only going to see the top color because the rest are all underneath but the'll come along with each successive color layer. I don't like where the computer thinks a registration mark should be so I put them where they make more sense and often save some wasted vinyl.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

I usually make  my own registration marks. I use a diamond or sometimes a + mark and place them where I want them. Once I have  them in place I group them and copy and then paste them in place again so there are a stack. One set for each color, then change the colors so each color layer has a set to go with it and when you cut out your designs they will each show up and all be in the same place. When you view the project you are only going to see the top color because the rest are all underneath but the'll come along with each successive color layer. I don't like where the computer thinks a registration mark should be so I put them where they make more sense and often save some wasted vinyl.

Same way here.

• Like 2

In VinylMaster go to >Objects >Place Registration Marks.

It will place 4 of them for you.  They can be moved where ever you want and edited or deleted.  I usually make them smaller and remove 2 of the 4 points.  VM makes them a special color that is designated as "universal" and then appears on every layer/color.    So if you move one it will be in that new location on every color level.  They have a real good  video about them on Youtube that tells you how to create your own, reposition, etc.

vinyl waste is why ive never used reg. marks. so will def have to check this moving them out. ive never checked for that, I mainly use scalps 4 , plan on upgrading to 5. but I still have the copy of VM that came with my cutter. I only use it now for designs I created n it before getting scalps. been too lazy to make copies of the files. lol.    I have a couple back lit set ups I use for layering. I had some big plans, but space slowed that dn. so the 1st 1 I built is 2' x 4' table. mine isn't as cool @Primal Decals , check his old post on here. really cool set up. then for small stuff I placed a led light in 1 the display counter I work off in the ft of the shop. its really too bright, going to tone it dn.

I can't seem to find the Vinylmaster youtube video that goes into detail on registration marks. It's not the one with "registration marks" in the title, LOL.  The image they work on in the video is a multi-color image of a plumber with a pipe over his shoulder, if I remember right.

In VM you can go to >TOOLS >SETTINGS >GENERAL >REGISTRATION MARKS and change the default width and height of them, also.