darcshadow

Delete Line Segments

Started playing around more with Vinyl Master and the node editing capabilities. One thing I could not figure out, or if it's even possible, was to delete a line segment between two nodes. For example, if I have a circle that is made up of 4 nodes, top, bottom, left and right. Is it possible to delete the segment between the Top and Right nodes so that I am left with a 3/4 circle line? The best I've been able to do so far is to delete the arc but have it replaced with a straight line connecting the nodes. I want the shape to be open, no longer a shape, just a simple line. In Inkscape, this ability it called "Delete Segment between two non-endpoints", is there something equivalent in Vinyl Master?

Already did that. can't edit the nodes till you convert to curves. I suspect this ability does not exist in the software. May take some time to get use to, but so far, I'm not a fan of the edit nodes capabilities. I like my nodes to be on the line in question. For curves, VM has them floating off at what would be the intersection of two lines. I can see how that could be handy at times, but they way I think of nodes and editing them it does not work for me.

If the object is curves and is not grouped you can work in Node Edit mode (click 1 below) and use Break Curve (at two points, see 3 below) to create a segment (Tip: set the curve Object to wireframe fill, by selecting it and clicking 2 below). Next click the Curve (menu) > Break Apart (4) and then delete the segment.

image.thumb.png.ddb14c68f712019594e252b814271e81.png

• Like 1

Thanks, I could have sworn I tried that. Just tried it again and it worked, so I don't know what I was doing last time. It did do one thing I was not expecting, when I deleted the curve, it was replaced with a straight line joining the two nodes. So I selected that and deleted it and got to the results pictured above.

Ok, and now I can't do it again. I do the two break curve points and a line appears joining the two points. When I then do a break apart command, I get a sliver of the circle and a 3/4 circle with a line joining it. I can delete the sliver but the line segment joining the curve I can't delete.

And to add additional confusion, I just tried to do it in order to get screen shots of what it was doing and now I can delete the line segment. Something is weird.

Ok, think I figured it out, and I think this could be a bug. If I'm in wireframe mode I can not delete the line segment. When I do the break curve at the two points I get image on the left. When I break apart I then get two pieces as on the right.

image.png.7df4678697cf94935da9032dd2bc5b74.png

Now, if I am not in wire frame mode, but rather use wire frame fill as mentioned in the previous post then I can delete the line segment and get the desired 3/4 circle.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.