Ironbar

Sublimation Problem - Black Ink Trash / Spotting

I've never had this problem before.  If you look at the attached pictures, the black ink seems to be spotting in different areas and I cannot figure out why.  Any idea why I am getting these black spots in various places on this transfer?  Here is what I did:

1) I thought it might be moisture so I made sure to lay the paper out on my press before and after the print to make sure it was dry.

2) I thought it might be gassing out so I made sure the press was nice and tight and I am taping it down properly.

3) I quadruple checked the graphic and the black spots do not appear in the artwork. 

4)  I also looked at the printed copy with a magnifying glass and I did not see them in the print either.

5) I checked the paper carefully.  Nothing on the paper to be concerned with.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm baffled.

Thank you.

20181125_223357_LI (2).jpg

I'm sublimating to bracelets from Conde Systems.  They are Chomelux bracelets.  If there is a flaw, I can't see it with a magnifying glass.  They look perfect before the sublimation.  I even tried wiping them down with an alcohol swap and then dried them out and then blew them off with a can of air.  No luck.

are these from a clean vector file or was it something that was done in photoshop?  I ask because in the past when doing some photoshop items I missed small areas using the eraser tool that I couldn't see until I printed them and then when I zoomed way way in found the almost clear bits in the image

It's a clean vector file I created.  I just double-checked and there is nothing there.  Also, each version I press is different.  There is nothing consistent about where the spots appear. 

I keep going back to the moisture causing the issue.  I'm think I am going to try some different paper.

Texprint-r paper?     If you use other papers the ink doesn’t dry as fast and if you print more than one page at a time will leave ink on the prior page doing like you show

Yes.  Texptrint-r paper.  Only printing one page.  Allowing at least a few minutes to insure the ink is dry.

In the Virtuoso print manager I am choosing ChromaLuxe Products, Texprint-R paper, and High Quality.  I am using the Graphic Color mode.

I thought it might be putting down to much ink.  Black seems to be the only color doing this.

Sounds right to me.   Does the same design do the same thing on another substrate?   Kind of running out of ideas here

• Like 1

I have not tried it on another substrate.  I can try it on some generic panels to check.  I've used this substrate many times before and never had this problem.  Very odd.

I like Dakota's idea same exact design on something else to see if it comes with the print or not. 

Well I finally figured it out.  I believe I actually had two issues.  The spotting / trash I believe was actually moisture.  I normally leave my paper in the printer tray and I have never had this problem before.  I used some paper from the pack and I also placed some packing paper in the sandwich to absorb some of the moisture.  Came out almost perfect except a little ghosting.

I've never noticed the ghosting before but I believe it has always been there.  I've never done a straight black on white print so it was not evident.  Took me a bit of thinking to figure out what was causing it.  My press is one of the "auto release" types.  When it releases it does with a 'thud'.  By holding the handle firm when it released, the ghosting disappeared also.

So my margin is slim on this run but I learned a couple of valuable lessons. 

Thanks for all your suggestions and help!

• Like 3