Raptor77racer

28" vs 34" sc2 cutter

Hello All

Sorry if this has already been brought up, did a search and didn't find anything.

I have a Silhouette Cameo 3 and want to upgrade, things have taken off faster than I thought/expected and need/want a larger cutter.

what is everyones opinion on 28" vs 34"

thanks all

Gary

28" and if you can, step up to a LaserPoint or get the best machine within your budget.

• Like 1

Yeah, most on here that have had something over 24" typically say it wasn't worth it and a 24" cutter was more than big enough for their jobs.

It comes down to what you plan to cut with it though. If you plan to do really big signs the 34 might be the way to go. Keep in mind though, big decals are a big pain and often times a design can be broken down into smaller more manageable pieces.

• Like 2

I have always had 30-36" vinyl cutters and have never needed larger and would not want it smaller.  I use 24" and 30" wide vinyl in many different colors.  With me, it is not about would I need a cutter that large, I create designs that large for 28" wide and my buyers like that.  The sizes also create  higher prices, and bigger revenue.  It is not any harder for me to cut the large graphics on a 30" cutter than is it would be on a 24" w cutter.   You can get the plastic/resin tables, and they are 30" wide by 8 ft long, pretty reasonable. They have folding legs with a straight  table top.  I work by myself, and never have problems handling the large graphics or taping the large graphics. I can cut a 28" wide by 16 ft long, but I have a Graphtec.   I started out with a value cutter though for 14 months and that cutter stepped me up to the Graphtec. 

• Like 2

34" ---  Gary, if you have the room for it, this is the way to go.

I do wish, however, that USCUTTER would sell an app-tape holder that wide. (currently, their largest app tape roll unit handles up to 24")

Strange how you cannot find big transfer tape applicators anymore. Except those real expensive ones with a handle to pull.   Not even Mask-Rite anymore.  I am glad I have my 2  Mask-Rite.  They make taping easy.    

Interesting...

So, to sum up, there's really no agreement on an answer to Gary ?

At first it sounded like there was..."anything bigger can be broken down to something smaller..."

...but then in comes "..34" is the way to go..." and "I wouldn't want anything smaller..."

So it sounds like the real answer is... "It depends..." and we really need to figure ourselves out...intentions, "how deep..," etc.

I think both MZ Skeeter and myself agree that I wouldn't want something that can't handle 30" vinyl simply because it is sometimes the case that the only quick local option for a certain color might be in a 30" roll or a certain design might fall just slightly out of the 24" size but within the 30" width. I rarely need the extra 6" but it is oh so nice to have it when the time comes. If budget constraints are such then it could be lived without because I use the extra just a few times a year. Your results may vary. 

• Like 1

@STENN,  You do not know what I create, most on here do not. I created 28" designs to be in a class of my own. My designs are very detailed, that is what sets me apart from other sellers.  I make large vinyl graphics for my category. I also make more money in less time. .. These detailed designs are not suitable to be made in smaller sections and put together.    And just making them smaller like 22"W  is not suitable either.  When you start making detailed designs smaller, you are creating pieces, that have very little adhesive on them and they won't stick.  Plus a lot harder to weed and more time involved.   When doing detailed designs,  6" wider can make a big difference, in the use of the decal as well as time involved.  Buying a vinyl cutter does depend on what your goals are. My goal was always to set my self apart from other sellers and make great money. Many people come and go on this forum and most don't last.  Many begging for tips on how to make money with their vinyl cutter.  All they want to do is make  6" or 12" decals, and they just compete with the low ball sellers. Plenty of them out there. They don't last.  It is very hard to make money doing little decals.  Unless your doing quantities everyday of every week of every year.  And look how time consuming that would be, just to make some pocket change. This is why I have a 30" cutter. 

• Like 2

Thanks to you both.

...and now that MZ points it out with more context, the difference in price between 28 (what I was thinking of) and 34 is so minor, it seems like a no-brainer.

• Like 1