videorov

641 Economy Oracal vinyl doesn't release to transfer tape

I just bought some TransferRite Ultra and it won't lift the vinyl from backing when I try to pull the backing off.

My transfer tape doesn't seem to have enough tack to pick it up
off its factory backing. The vinyl is a little old but is there a transfer tape that can lift it up off its backing?
When I try to pull the backing off it won't stay on the transfer tape.
Any ideas guys, maybe a real high tack transfer tape, something strong and once its on the transfer tape I think it will stay on what ever I place it on when I pull the transfer tape off.

I would hate to throw the vinyl away if its getting old.
Does vinyl get hard to use when it gets older like this?

Are you laying the decal face down and pealing the backing off? That makes a world of difference vs trying to peal the tape and vinyl off the backing.

• Like 1

Vinyl DOES have a shelf life but I have used some pretty old stuff without incident. It probably depends on what the application is. If it's something I was selling a customer I would make sure it's not way too old. I like to use the highest tack paper I can get for most things. R-Tape Conform 4076 RLA is my go-to, it's a touch tackier than 4075 which is also really awesome stuff. Try holding both sides of the cut product and run the backing over a sharp edge like a table edge as if you were shining a pair of shoes and it will help loosen up the grip between the vinyl and the carrier. I do this often with 651 which is also often a little touchy to get up off the carrier. 

• Like 1

I will try some of the  R-Tape Conform 4076 RLA  and see if it will be tacky enough . This vinyl is about 1 year old.  Does US cutter sell this  R-Tape Conform 4076 RLA ????

Is there another type that might be even more tacky or is it the one with most tack????????????

23 hours ago, videorov said:

I will try some of the  R-Tape Conform 4076 RLA  and see if it will be tacky enough . This vinyl is about 1 year old.  Does US cutter sell this  R-Tape Conform 4076 RLA ????

Is there another type that might be even more tacky or is it the one with most tack????????????

They do. 1 year is well within MY time limit. I don't know of other tackier than that but there may be. If you get too aggressive it would then be trouble removing after the install. I know the locals won't sell even the 4075 because most of the sign makers around here us printed work and evidently the high tack are too tacky for that much coverage area.   

<edit> The locals here won't sell high tack in WIDE WIDTHS. I presume they sell it in skinnier applications. I buy most of my app tape through USC but once ran out in the middle of a project and ran to the local sign supply for more but they only had medium tack in 24" wide. I'm sure they would order it in if I'd asked. 

• Like 1

I tried the 4076 RLA  but my clear transfer tape seems to have more tack and is working better. Will have to stay with this clear tape looks like.

Maybe the vinyl is getting a bit old and a little tough to get more detailed stuff to lift off the release backing. It seems to be working if I pull back and forth

side to side at a sharp angle right now.

Are you using a squeegee on the transfer tape real good? As you should.  Squeegee good, turn decal transfer tape down, and slowly peel the backing away.  Unless the vinyl got heated or damp, I have never had a problem taking the backing off any vinyl. I only use medium tack tape.  If you are cutting too deep, you can be forcing the vinyl into the backing.  Why are you using economy vinyl?  Maybe try resetting your blade depth. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should only see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

Believe it or not, up here in Canada, 641 is a LOT more expensive than 651. Like around 40% more.

Ok, not as bad as I thought. Realized it was comparing 15 inch to 24 inch.

I don't know why it is more up there,  maybe no one keeps it in inventory?    It is cheaper here in the States. 

Both in stock. Could be weight since the 41 is a tiny bit thicker and ship by weight? Don't really know.

47 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Both in stock. Could be weight since the 41 is a tiny bit thicker and ship by weight? Don't really know.

But the original price is cheaper, before the price was lowered. ..  Oracal 651 is 65 cents higher per yard,  than 641.   It doesn't make sense. 

I have the blade set ok looks like. It doesn't cut the backing any and everything weeds out all ok but just have a hard time  taking the backing off some things with more

detail in them. Im working on a larger design right now and not any small piece's in it so it should work ok on that.

Don't have a problem with larger stuff. Yes I have a nice squeegee a gold one and do press firm with it. Vinyl has always been stored inside air conditioned area.

Seems like the backing should come off easier. Oh well will do the best I can and maybe when I order some new it will perform better.

34 minutes ago, videorov said:

I have the blade set ok looks like. It doesn't cut the backing any and everything weeds out all ok but just have a hard time  taking the backing off some things with more

detail in them. Im working on a larger design right now and not any small piece's in it so it should work ok on that.

Don't have a problem with larger stuff. Yes I have a nice squeegee a gold one and do press firm with it. Vinyl has always been stored inside air conditioned area.

Seems like the backing should come off easier. Oh well will do the best I can and maybe when I order some new it will perform better.

skeeter gives the instructions for properly setting your blade - excess blade WILL also affect offset even though it my cut the right depth . . . . that is why she post that over and over and over again - it has helped literally hundreds of people

• Like 1

Just keep on making adjustments and you'll eventually find the sweet spot for that vinyl, at that color, with that blade, with that design. There is always a possibility that you're cutting through the vinyl, but not the adhesive. It's happened to me a time or two, and it make the difference in weeding, and yes, in the app tape pick-up.

It's a sucky process, and at times - frustrating, but it you'll get it. hand in there, and keep on making subtle changes.

when i have difficulties with the app tape picking up the vinyl, it's usually time for me to change the tape - but that's me, where i live, and the level and cold/heat and humidity that i have. and, i can never be sure how old the app tape is when i pick it up from my local supply shop.

You might have something there with not cutting through the adhesive. I can lift it off the backing using this clear transfer tape brand which seems to have more stick.

https://expressionsvinyl.com/transfer-tape/clear/     But I should be able to lift it off with a standard paper transfer tape aswell. I will adjust the blade just a little bit

to make sure its getting through the adhesive. Im not marking the backing at all but maybe just a little tiny bit would be a good thing?

Thanks for the idea.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:34 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

skeeter gives the instructions for properly setting your blade - excess blade WILL also affect offset even though it my cut the right depth . . . . that is why she post that over and over and over again - it has helped literally hundreds of people 

Step one.

Or not, but it is the best start you can have.

• Like 3