Guest Davis25r

VinylMaster Cut Registration Mark Not Aligning?

Guest Davis25r

Quick question, lets see if anyone can help me or has had this issue before?

I'm starting to notice that on some of my projects, (typically larger ones) that the registration marks don't tend to line up. Ill post an example. For this particular example, the registration marks were way off. I even measured them center to center. The blue layer ended up being almost an 1/8" difference from the orange layer width wise, and way off of each other vertically. Now I built myself a light box last year, so its not a huge deal. I can still line things up manually with my box, but id like to have this issue resolved just for sake of sanity and peace of mind for future jobs if i ever need to rely on the marks. I use the standard VinylMaster Cut software with the US Cutter MH 871-MK2. I design everything in Adobe Illustrator, and then import as rendered object and vectorize so I can get my layers how I want. I've been doing jobs for about 3 years now, but I have finally figured out what the alignment error is, I always thought it was operator error.

Thanks!

(The example decal isn't finished if anyone is curious, still needs its black layer.)

20181119_215232.jpg

Sorry to say, but the issue is your cutter. It is the bottom of the barrel of cutters and does not track well on large jobs, let along on two different cut jobs. Only being off by an 1/8" of an inch on a design that big is actually pretty good.

If you're going to continue with large sized jobs you'd be well served to upgrade to a higher end cutter, ideally one with a servo motor rather than steppers.

• Like 1

Guest Davis25r

Well unfortunately I figured that might be the cause, but I was hoping it was software related. This cutter has done me pretty good since I got it and I'm sure ill be able to squeeze more life out of it. I'm hoping to look into getting a printer here in the next X amount of months when I finish up with my engineering degree in the spring. But until then, any good recommendations on a new cutter? Thanks! 

12 minutes ago, Guest Davis25r said:

Well unfortunately I figured that might be the cause, but I was hoping it was software related. This cutter has done me pretty good since I got it and I'm sure ill be able to squeeze more life out of it. I'm hoping to look into getting a printer here in the next X amount of months when I finish up with my engineering degree in the spring. But until then, any good recommendations on a new cutter? Thanks! 

Graphtec   absolutely.  If your thinking that MH is cutting great.  Then you have never seen what a servo vinyl cutter can do.  Night and day.  Servo,  quiet, accurate. more memory, great tracking,  cuts fine detail great.  Set it and forget it.  If you can't afford the Graphtec,  then the Titan series would be next. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.