Meucow

What is this material (and blade setting question)

Good morning all. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm a new Titan 2 owner.  It's a great machine and I'm very happy with it's purchase. I've had a recent tragedy in my life and although this purchase was outside my budget, it now will have to step up big and provide solid work for me and my daughters. That being said, I'm quickly trying to ramp up on it.  I made signs and use the machine to create 'stencils' and then paint on wood. 

I use contact paper to cut, I'm sure oracle would be better but right now, I need to keep my costs local/cash not credit cards so this is my best option right now. I've used it for years on a craft cutter and need as minimal 'changes' in my life as possible. I have found the right blade setting and then speed/force. BUT, now that I've been cutting for a few days straight, I'm not getting my 'kiss cut' anymore. It's cutting through to the back side not completely through but in areas of some letters. I checked blade to make sure there was no 'fuzz'. I have speed at 144 and force at 69 - this is what has been great for days. What's the best way to start modifying my settings so I can get back to that 'kiss' cut and not have the blade cut through both layers. Should I just reduce the force just a tad- maybe to 66? 

Second, I'm ALWAYS researching too find the best and most proficient way to work - within my budget constraints and cash requirement. I have a friend that went to a 'painting' (sign) party and this (blue) was being used on the wood. Now, I've been doing this for many years so know that so many factors contribute to a good end result (quality of wood, minimal grain, how applying the paint, burnishing the vinyl (contact paper) securely to the wood. I've been doing this for 10 years - but ALWAYS researching better methods. Does anyone know what this blue material could be. Again, this person is making signs, like me, so they are cutting a stencil, like me. Is this blue look like some type of vinyl material?  I think it might be Oramask 813 stencil film. I'm wondering if that is MUCH better (cleaning lettering when I paint than what I'm using)

My husband just died and it's crazy that I'm on this forum and creating right now but I'm in survival mode and this is holiday season. I'm needing to make money for bills and so I'm working at lightening speed. Thank you in advance all.

Cindi

Screenshot 2018-11-18 10.21.26.png

I would guess that  the contact paper your using is wearing out your blades pretty fast.  You must always get the blade depth correctly first, then the force values come into play. 

This is posted hundreds and hundreds of times on the forum.     Maybe someone else can reply on the blue. 

Setting blade depth 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

• Like 1

Thank you MZ Skeeter. Yes, I'm looking into purchasing a back up blade....it never dulled my blades before on my silhouette cameo that I had for 10 years. I know it's a different 'animal' - I get it but blades would last almost 8 months and I'd cut (like now; 24/7). My blade depth 'has' been great - it's been cutting perfectly. Before purchasing this machine, I did talk with US cutter about the contact paper, even sent them a sample and they agreed that the cutter/blade would be fine it's basically identical Oracal 631. If my blade has been great, should I then adjust the force?

Ditto, if you are cutting into the paper your blade is not set correctly.   Also agree that shelf paper likely cost more and much harder on blades

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Meucow said:

Thank you MZ Skeeter. Yes, I'm looking into purchasing a back up blade....it never dulled my blades before on my silhouette cameo that I had for 10 years. I know it's a different 'animal' - I get it but blades would last almost 8 months and I'd cut (like now; 24/7). My blade depth 'has' been great - it's been cutting perfectly. Before purchasing this machine, I did talk with US cutter about the contact paper, even sent them a sample and they agreed that the cutter/blade would be fine it's basically identical Oracal 631. If my blade has been great, should I then adjust the force?

You need a pack of blades, not just 1, if your going to run a biz.      How do you know your blade depth is great?  You don't know that unless you reset it.   Also, if your cutting thru the paper without a cutting mat, you are damaging the blade as well as the teflon cutting strip. I would also look at the blade tip very well to see if it is nicked or damaged. 

• Like 3