MenofArms

CE2000-60 issues with new computer

Our computer has died and I have attempted to get everything transferred over onto a new 2-in-1 laptop. The main issue as most have is that it doesn't have a serial port. We've gotten the Tripp-lite usb to serial adapter and have downloaded all of the drivers but I just can't get the damned thing to work. We've gone back to SB and I have tried every conceivable way of setting the stupid thing up but I'm at a loss. The program is running in Win 7 compatibility mode (on Win 10) and I've made sure the ports are set up on the computer and in SB. I rechecked the CE2000-60 and it's set up the same as the port and is in GP-GL as well. We are using a VE R series ii as well with SCAL 4. It works on the new computer but just doesn't have the same kind of output that the Graphtec does. 

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,

Josh

GP-GL is not for Signblazer.   GP-GL is Graphtec language on all the earlier Graphtec cutters.  You need Command HP-GL for any type of software other than Graphtec.   SB, Flexi, Signcut etc.     What type of cable are you running from the serial end of the Tripplite to the vinyl cutter? 

The cable is direct to the vinyl cutter (USB on computer, Serial at vinyl cutter). We had a regular serial cable we were going to attach to the adapter but it was cut so I trashed it. I have the Tripp Lite U209-005-DB25

It was originally set up in HP-GL. After reading some of the other posts regarding Graphtec, I was able to get into the settings and change the COMMAND. I'll try to revert it back when I get back to my shop in the morning. Is there a better option than SignBlazer? I wish that SCAL4 actually worked for it as well so I could just use one program for both of our vinyl machines.

The Keyspan Adapter does not have screws to tighten to your vinyl cutter,   Rs232,  How is it connected to your vinyl cutter?  You need a cable from the serial end of the Keyspan Adapter to the vinyl cutter connection. 

That sure doesn't look like a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter to me.  Tripp-lite is the brand name.   What brand is that?  Where did you get it? 

ok,  different looking.    Are you sure the driver is installed and you rebooted your computer after installing it?  Nothing more I can do. 

I installed the driver directly from Tripp-lite and rebooted the computer. I am about to dump everything off of the computer and start over. I wonder if my other vinyl cutter is messing with stuff. It's not connected but I'm wondering if the settings are conflicting with each other. Even if I need to buy a different cutting program, is there anything out there that would be able to talk to both of my cutters?

If using Windows 7, click the Start button and select Control Panel. Find Device Manager in the list and click to open it.

With the driver installed and the adapter plugged into the computer, there should be a Ports options listed in Device Manager.

Click the arrow next to Ports to see the COM number. Now that you know what port to select you’re ready to add your setup into the software. 

shows up on COM4: so I've adjusted the COM4: settings in Signblazer and computer to what is shown on the cutter. Signblazer is actually showing 2 COM4: ports, one shows the adapter and the other is just COM4:. I have tried both. The computer is Windows 10 but I've set the programs to run in Windows 7 Compatability.

Signblazer will run on Windows 10.  Many have done it.   I don't use Signblazer.  Maybe someone else will come along.  My. Graphtec cutter is much newer with USB.   Try trials of other software.   Vinyl Master,  Signcut and see if you can get a connection. 

I don't know, but the value cutters have to have a null modem cable, between the Keyspan and the vinyl cutter.   It is different from a straight thru serial cable. 

I appreciate the help. It's a little frustrating. I just downloaded Signblazer not too long ago since people were saying it worked for the older machines. I may also try one of our older computers if I have to as well. I have a couple of older POS computers still running XP. That still have Serial ports.

I still run on XP,   since 2006, a lot of people do.  Very stable.  with my Graphtec and Flexi software.  

Your welcome. :D

Are you sure you're connecting to the serial port and not the Parallel port? Most RS-232 serial ports are a 9 pin D-sub connector. I'm not seeing anything in the manual about null modem vs straight cable so I'm assuming straight. If that is the case and the genders match up you should be able to plug that trip lite cable directly into the plotter.

19 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Are you sure you're connecting to the serial port and not the Parallel port? Most RS-232 serial ports are a 9 pin D-sub connector. I'm not seeing anything in the manual about null modem vs straight cable so I'm assuming straight. If that is the case and the genders match up you should be able to plug that trip lite cable directly into the plotter.

My  Graphtec has the 25 pin also for RS232C   and USB,   and my cutter is 10 years old.  The FC8000-75 also has 25 pin and USB. 

56 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Since this is a CE2000-60, I'm assuming it's pretty old. No idea since we bought it second hand a couple years ago. It has the 25 pin serial and parallel ports but no usb...luckily I'm a packrat when it comes to cables.

49 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

My  Graphtec has the 25 pin also for RS232C   and USB,   and my cutter is 10 years old.  The FC8000-75 also has 25 pin and USB. 

If only this one had a USB, I think things would be easier to set up...lol

To refresh, my settings for the port and cutter are:

Baud Rate: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: Hardware

Yes the CE2000-60 is VERY old.   I could not find a copyright date for the CE2000 user manual,, but the CE3000 user manual has a copyright date of  CE3000-UM-151 February 27, 2003 1st edition-01

• Like 1

like the old rolands of that vintage not even sure it is a servo cutter - I am guessing 20 years old or more

Still having issues but it's getting easier to navigate. I think I'm going to have to fire up one of our older computers to get this to work properly. I have a few older point of sale computers that work ok enough to get the programs on them I think. I can't get SB or SCAL4 to recognize the cutter. They both work for the Vinyl Express though.