kranker1450

Computer help

Thanks to all that helped with my other newbie question.

This time I have a question about a dedicated laptop for the cutter. everything that I read said to get a dedicated computer for the cutter and keep it off the internet. I have been looking at the following computer for this. Also because it has a serial connection. I will be using a different computer for the designs then transfer the file via usb drive. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8AD3GA1579

Any other suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Krank

Edited by kranker1450
forgot link

I am using a cheap net book to run my graphtec (USB). No problems at all.

That computer is more than capable of running a cutter.

Note, the main reason for keeping the cutting computer off the internet is most people's dedicated cutting computer is running an old OS, such as Windows XP. Since XP is no longer supported by MS, security patches are no longer pushed to the computer and it is at a greater risk of compromise. If you have a new computer with a current OS, there's no real need to keep it off the net.

Darcshaow, 

Thank you for the information. From what i have read Windows 10 does not work to well with the cutters. I am looking at the titan 2. Would I be better off going with an older computer or a newer one with windows 10?  Also what about the serial connection as compared to a Usb port?

thanks tom

usb on the titans are way above the value cutters - all I used was usb the time I had the titan2    - either new or old version of windows should be fine as long as your cutting software is compatible  

2 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

usb on the titans are way above the value cutters - all I used was usb the time I had the titan2    - either new or old version of windows should be fine as long as your cutting software is compatible  

Thank you for that information. I will be using Vinlymaster LTR. I have a laptop that I have already installed Vinylmaster demo on. I will probably just get the upgraded version on that laptop and use that as the one to dive the cutter. It is running windows 10. As long as no one sees any potential problems with the drivers on 10 I should be good then.

thanks again for all of the help it is greatly appreciated.

krank