Sign in to follow this  
ScrantonStrangler

Marketing Questions

I have recently started my own "shop" and have done a decent amount of jobs so far. Pricing aside (lord knows there's more than enough questions about that here) I have been struggling to drum up new business and wanted to see what everyone does to market themselves. 

I have been messaging and contacting shops in my area and introducing myself/asking that if they need anything done, to keep me in mind. i have gotten a few rear window things here and there but they usually only bring in like $50

I would love to spend time making larger decals for people that costs more than to sit hunched over making hundreds of small ones lol but I will take what I can get.

I have been considering a facebook ad for my area but also think that limiting myself to my area might not be the best idea. 

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I live in a small town, POP 5600.  I never considered selling close to home.  I sell online only , and it's not FB.   Been doing it for 12 years.   My business is primarily large  vinyl graphics.  8- 16 ft. L

I hope you have a good cutter to cut those large decals. 

5 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I live in a small town, POP 5600.  I never considered selling close to home.  I sell online only , and it's not FB.   Been doing it for 12 years. 

I hope you have a good cutter to cut those large decals. 

Do you sell via your own website that ranks well with google or do you use a site such as ebay or something? not trying to steal your ideas haha just curious. Seems like it would be hard to sell anything nationwide with so many huge manufacturers out there.

My cutter isn't the best (LP2) but so far it has held it's own with 20" pieces. I guess large is a relative term. 20" might be small in the grand scheme of things but compared to people with the smaller cutters, it sets me apart somewhat. I would love to upgrade eventually but right now, I can't justify the cost until i can prove I can get more business.

Thank you for the input!

I do not worry about what others sell or their prices.  I provide quality, unique products, with great customer service at reasonable rates, where I make a very nice profit.  I have many repeat buyers, because of that. Huge manufacturers  would mostly be selling licensed items. Which has nothing to do with what I sell.  No, I do not have a private website.  If you want to compete in this business, you have to find your own niche', and not do what everybody else does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I do not worry about what others sell or their prices.  I provide quality, unique products, with great customer service at reasonable rates, where I make a very nice profit.  I have many repeat buyers, because of that. Huge manufacturers  would mostly be selling licensed items.  I don't sell licensed items.    No, I do not have a private website. 

I have been poking around on here trying to find info and it seems like you are the lady with all the answers! Thank you, i didn't even think about ebay as an option. Pricing I don't really worry about and just use my gut and what I am ok making on the particular job. As for "large" decals, I was thinking 12-22" being pretty big compared to what most people with small craft cutters can do. 

so do you mainly use pre-designed things or do you also do custom work? I would think custom work has the most money to be made but maybe I am wrong?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

What I sell is my secret   :D

I've seen your advice about using unique designs but I personally like making custom stuff. Just wasn't sure if ebay was the place for custom work or not. Thank you for the input!

• Like 2