kranker1450

Newbie Help

Good morning all,

I am new to vinly cutting and I am looking at getting starting down this worm hole.

I want to start making vinly for friends and family and slowly get into selling some on the side to pay off the equipment. Maybe do some shirts. I am looking at getting a Titan 28" for my first cutter. I probably wont need the size at first but want to have the option. 

Any opinions on a cutter or any help leading me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing a lot of reading and the titan is what I think is a good machine in this size and budget.

thanks again Krank

I don't have one, but from what has been said on here the Titan 2 seems to be a pretty decent cutter. The advice I have to offer is don't be tempted by the package deals, unless you actually want everything in the package. Typically the package deals have several things that you don't need, want, or will use and the value of the package is not worth it. You'd be better off buying a few rolls of vinyl in the colors you know you want and then just buy additional colors as you need them.

If you're wanting to do shirts, you'll want a press as well. Hobbyist claim you can use an iron, and while it is possible, you're not going to get good or lasting results and if you give the shirts out or sell them you're quality reputation will be hurt badly.

The hardest thing most people have when jumping into this is wrapping their head around vector graphics. Most people only know raster graphics and vectors are a complete unknown. Look into vectors and get to know them a little now will help you quite a bit when you get equipment to start playing around with. Inkscape is a free and quite powerful vector program you can download and start playing around with till you get your hardware and what ever software comes with it.

• Like 1

Thanks Darchadow for the info. I was looking at the regular Titan with stepper motors as compared to the Titan2 with servos to save some money. Thanks for the tip on packages.

I will download Inkscape and play with that to help familiarize myself with Vector images.

Krank

If your BRAND new to this, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.  It will be extremely difficult to start with understanding the equipment,  understanding application techniques and using vector graphics.  Knowledge about how the equipment works; weeding techniques and application to substrates with transfer tape/squeegees on varying surfaces and vector graphics not raster graphics are not too difficult if shown, but hard to acquire solo. If you have a local shop, or just a local person that already does this and can show you the ropes for a few days, it will go a long long long long way.   Youtube videos can't really give the full monty, just tease you.  Even if you have to travel and beg a shop to let you hang around awhile, a night or five in a motel wouldn't hurt.  If you have someone that knows the ropes and can come over and get  you up and running, that would be idea.  But diving into this with zero experience will be grueling.

• Like 1

I dove into vinyl cutting with zero experience. There's definitely a learning, curve, but not one that's insurmountable - and I did that pre-YouTube days. Just be patient with yourself, be willing to scour YouTube and forums, then ask.

Take it one step at a time, so that would be cutter first. If you're not sure about getting into shirts, or that's way down the road, then focus on getting the best cutter you can with the money you have. Make a little money that way, then you can look into getting yourself a heat press.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input. My plan is to just start with decals and down the road a while maybe dabble into tshirts.  I have downloaded Inkscape and started playing with that while watching tutorials on youtube.

Any advice on the cutter in the 5-600 dollar range?

• Like 1

Definitely get the best cutter you can afford. That is going to be your bread and butter for a while, so make it a good one. At the very least, do not go lower than a LaserPoint.

1st: https://www.uscutter.com/Refurbished-28-inch-TITAN-2-Vinyl-Cutter  It's a refurb, but it'll get you a more accurate servo motor.

2nd: https://www.uscutter.com/TITAN-Vinyl-Cutter-28-53-inch

3rd: https://www.uscutter.com/LaserPoint-3-Vinyl-Cutter-ARMS-Contour-Cut

Stick with a 24" cutter, and definitely get a stand - the basket is a personal preference, but kind of needed if you're going to cut something long. Like Darc recommended, don't buy into the package deals, unless you really want all the junk in it.

What I find helpful ... an extra cutting strip and Clean Cut blades.

• Like 2

You should also be already downloading and experimenting with VinylMaster (free trial).

• Like 1

Titan vinyl cutters are re-branded Saga vinyl cutters.  That said, I have a Saga that is the equivalent to a Titan 3.  I think it is a good machine to start with, as would be any of the Titans/Sagas.  I'd go with a cutter that has a servo motor, mainly due to noise.  Mine has ARMS, which I've never used past testing it out and playing with it.  I would definitely get or build a stand.  The stand that came with mine is very solid, and doesn't wobble at all.  I have been thinking about how I can raise it some, as I'm taller.  As for the basket, mine is still sitting in the closet.  Any long cuts I've done, I've just let them fall on the floor and never had a problem.  The reason I don't use the basket is that it makes the cutter a lot wider front to back.  Also, as slice&dice said, play around and familiarize yourself with VinylMaster.  It's a great program that works seamlessly with these machines.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I have downloaded Vinly master and have started to play with that as well as Inkscape.

Is the Titan2 worth that much more than the Titan?

I know it has servos instead of steppers, does they make that big of a difference? I have tried to google the difference but really haven't come up with a head to head comparison.

Thanks Again for al the help Krank.

29 minutes ago, kranker1450 said:

Thanks everyone for the tips. I have downloaded Vinly master and have started to play with that as well as Inkscape.

Is the Titan2 worth that much more than the Titan?

I know it has servos instead of steppers, does they make that big of a difference? I have tried to google the difference but really haven't come up with a head to head comparison.

Thanks Again for al the help Krank.

This was posted today from a Titan 2 owner of about a month.   He came to the forum for help also. 

Thank you Skeeter for providing that link. That exactly the type of information I was looking for. I will save up a little while longer and go for the Titan 2.