Ironbar

HP Cutter Blades

Does anyone know if the HP Cutter's blades are proprietary?  I know the unit is actually manufactured by Summa.  I've looked at the D series blades for Summa and they look similar but it is hard to say if they are exactly the same.  HP wants a small fortune for their blades so I am looking for an alternative.  I've always used the clean cut blades so I was curious if the Summa blades will work.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.

If you get in touch with the clean cut guy he can tell you if they are compatible. He makes blades that will fit my Summa although I actually use the 36deg Summa blades most of the time. 

Yes sir.  I did contact him and he said he was not sure if they were compatible or not...  I just have no idea how different the HP machines are from the Summas.

Send Ross one of your old ones I bet he can gauge it out and check for you. 

The cutter is the one that comes with the Latex 115 package.  All the specs just say "HP Latex 54 Basic Cutter."  The actual model number is the 1NC42A.  US cutter wants $191 for five blades and a cutting strip.  I guess its not a fortune like I said before but it does seem a little high.  Their "Specialty Blades" are $269 for the 5+1 package.  It says they are to be used for rhinestone applications and "some transfer media."  Not sure what would be different about them except the cut angle.

It's all very vague.  I can't seem to find any other information anywhere.  I'll waste $10 on a Summa blade to compare or do what Wildgoose suggests and send one off to Ross to compare.

By the way: The cutter looks exactly like the SummaCut D140 with a few minor exceptions.  Why would HP bother to change the blade and blade holder?

• Like 1

I have a Summa D60 I corrected an error in a micrometer reading below.

Doug

The HP Blades are .0585 in diameter and .766 in length.

I'm guessing that could be manufacturing tolerances or difference in calibers.  

Thank you dwp99.

35 minutes ago, Ironbar said:

The HP Blades are .0585 in diameter and .766 in length.

I'm guessing that could be manufacturing tolerances or difference in calibers.  

Thank you dwp99.

Wow, My micrometer is  off I rechecked it with another an it's reading  .0585 on the diameter and .0754 on the length.

Sorry about that.

Doug

4 hours ago, Ironbar said:

By the way: The cutter looks exactly like the SummaCut D140 with a few minor exceptions.  Why would HP bother to change the blade and blade holder?

That does look exactly like the Summa. I know the nearby Summa dealer has started selling HP printers too so I bet there is some sort of back scratching going on. The blade holder in the video I watched from their site looks just like my 30" machine. I think I pay $125 for a 5 pack plus a healthy shipping fee from Summa (Now Airmark) Used to be less than CC. 

My Summa D60 is actually badged a Neuhause Vector 6.0, Bade in Belguim.  So I'm guessing that Summa will manufacture and sell under different names.

Neuhaus.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome.  So I'll order a Summa blade and give it a try.  Summa must just be into the re-branding game.  I like the cutter so far.  I actually like it better than my GS-24 with the exception that the GS-24 can cut any size material and cut all the way to the edge.  The Summa is a little more limited.  (or I just haven't figured it out yet)

SignWarehouse has the Summa blades for $11.  I'm assuming the are not factory blades though.  If they work I will let everyone know just for reference. 

2 hours ago, Ironbar said:

Awesome.  So I'll order a Summa blade and give it a try.  Summa must just be into the re-branding game.  I like the cutter so far.  I actually like it better than my GS-24 with the exception that the GS-24 can cut any size material and cut all the way to the edge.  The Summa is a little more limited.  (or I just haven't figured it out yet)

SignWarehouse has the Summa blades for $11.  I'm assuming the are not factory blades though.  If they work I will let everyone know just for reference. 

You're right, they don't cut all the way out to the edge.  My Summa will cut about 13.5" on a 15" wide roll and about 22.5" on a 24" wide roll.  You'll also need a little extra on the top end to keep the sensor covered.

But on the up side they do track very well.   Do you use the Media Flanges?  They really help with the tracking.

03.jpg

I'm extremely impressed with how well they track.  When I'm cutting printed graphics and using the OPUS to adjust the skew it cuts almost perfect. According to the specs, the tracking is +- .0004 in when using the skew tracking. For cutting non-printed media I am using the media flanges.  Mine has two tracks that slide on the front roller that the media flanges "lock" into.  They don't move and it makes it track awesome.  I can't tell by the picture if yours has them.

Just to circle back round to this:

I ordered a 60 degree and 36 degree blade from Clean Cut.  I have used the 36 degree and it is a direct replacement for the HP Cutter. The correct blade is the Suma-D series blade.  I used the offset per the package and the offset on test on the cutter comes out perfectly. Now we will see how long the blade lasts compared to the original.  

Sorry HP, I'm not paying you $40 per blade.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ironbar said:

Just to circle back round to this:

I ordered a 60 degree and 36 degree blade from Clean Cut.  I have used the 36 degree and it is a direct replacement for the HP Cutter. The correct blade is the Suma-D series blade.  I used the offset per the package and the offset on test on the cutter comes out perfectly. Now we will see how long the blade lasts compared to the original.  

Sorry HP, I'm not paying you $40 per blade.

Thank you for the circle back. This really helps the future searchers. 

• Like 1

I have no doubt that the Clean Cut Blades will last a lot longer. I'm still on my first blade that I got for my LP over 10+ years ago. It still cuts well, so I'm not about to change it.

• Like 1