SicSkinz

Connect to Mac? USB? Not found!

Yes... I followed all the steps from Right Button Start-up all the way through. I noticed the cutter doesn't seem to want to remember the laser calibration as each time I go into that mode, I have to reset it again... but yes, is my answer.

I have run direct cut jobs without contour cutting on it just fine... just cannot get to the contour cutting part of the experience.

Just installed the software and hooked up the cutter directly via USB to my MacBook Pro running High Sierra... same results.

A serial connection, or a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter  (that is the brand name Tripp-lite)  will give you a much better connection over the flaky cheap Chinese USB chipset that is in that vinyl cutter.  It is not TRUE USB in that SC2, like higher end cutters.   Scalp has been known to have problems, which is why they offered Vinyl Master over SCALP 

Sic is running on a Mac, so VM isn't an option at this point. Unless it they go Bootcamp/VM Fusion/Parallels route.

10 minutes ago, haumana said:

Sic is running on a Mac, so VM isn't an option at this point. Unless it they go Bootcamp/VM Fusion/Parallels route.

I know that.  I am explaining why UScutter, switched from providing  SCALP to ALL buyers,  Because of all the problems with SCALP.  SCALP has too many glitches.   I think the higher versions are a bit better.    But they cost, more than I would pay for it.   I would not pay $249 for SCALP.    I was given a disc to try years back from USCutter.  Not impressed and my cutter was not even on it. 

4 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I know that.  I am explaining why UScutter, switched from providing  SCALP to ALL buyers,  Because of all the problems with SCALP.  SCALP has too many glitches.   I think the higher versions are a bit better.    But they cost, more than I would pay for it.   I would not pay $249 for SCALP.  

I didn't want to pay for any software when I got started so I stuck with SBE. I eventually switched platforms and made sure I could run SBE through Fusion, then subsequently Parallels. Still have that setup going on 10+ years ... until I get more familiar with Graphtec Studio on the Mac side; and Graphtec Pro Studio and Vinyl Master on the Win side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I know that.  I am explaining why UScutter, switched from providing  SCALP to ALL buyers,  Because of all the problems with SCALP.  SCALP has too many glitches.   I think the higher versions are a bit better.    But they cost, more than I would pay for it.   I would not pay $249 for SCALP.    I was given a disc to try years back from USCutter.  Not impressed and my cutter was not even on it. 

Yeah, I am starting to feel like SCALP and the SC2 on a Mac is a proverbial rabbit hole of cash. I JUST paid 249 for the software in Oct, and now need a 59 dollar upgrade. I have Virtual PC on my Laptop and have Win XP Pro on it... I installed Vinyl Master (another expense) and the driver doesn't see the SC2... which is why I got away from VPC many moons ago... their connections are always wonky or altogether absent. Anyway... I don't want to spend any more money on this. I'm already over $3,500 in the hole on this gear and cannot do what it's supposed to do. I'm now at the irritated mode. I've used Graphtecs and loved them, no problems using them at all... directly from Illustrator. Just don't have the money to afford one!

I don't know if some of the issue that you're running into is because of Virtual PC. While the software lets you run some PC programs, it's not necessarily thinking like a PC. It's not going to function as if you actually bootcamp, fusion, or parallel the mac.

bootcamp is free, and if you still have your XP Pro software, get it installed. I can't speak as to how compatible SCALP or VM to XP, but you can always us Sign Blazer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, haumana said:

I don't know if some of the issue that you're running into is because of Virtual PC. While the software lets you run some PC programs, it's not necessarily thinking like a PC. It's not going to function as if you actually bootcamp, fusion, or parallel the mac.

bootcamp is free, and if you still have your XP Pro software, get it installed. I can't speak as to how compatible SCALP or VM to XP, but you can always us Sign Blazer.

I have only TRIED Virtual PC and gave up. I WILL NOT SWITCH TO NOR USE WINDOWS IN MY WORKFLOW. Sorry. So any suggestions under this path will be disregarded off-hand. Thanks, I know you are only trying to help :)

The thing is that you're able to cut.

Then from this point, my only recommendation is for you to contact the software manufacturers for troubleshooting.

30 minutes ago, SicSkinz said:

I have only TRIED Virtual PC and gave up. I WILL NOT SWITCH TO NOR USE WINDOWS IN MY WORKFLOW. Sorry. So any suggestions under this path will be disregarded off-hand. Thanks, I know you are only trying to help :)

Have you tried out SignCut Pro? They have a free trial. USC used to provide SignCut Pro with a years subscription with a new cutter. Not sure what changed in their relationship but they haven't offered it for quite a while. It's a very mac friendly program and they have tech support as well. 

• Like 2

You say the program doesn't respond to keyboard arrow keys, does the onscreen arrows work?

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

You say the program doesn't respond to keyboard arrow keys, does the onscreen arrows work?

No. They did the first time I tried adjusting the cut head to the FIRST register mark, but then after that, they stopped working altogether... they never worked on my laptop. That attempt was a failure on all counts under High Sierra.

16 hours ago, SicSkinz said:

Yeah, I am starting to feel like SCALP and the SC2 on a Mac is a proverbial rabbit hole of cash. I JUST paid 249 for the software in Oct, and now need a 59 dollar upgrade. I have Virtual PC on my Laptop and have Win XP Pro on it... I installed Vinyl Master (another expense) and the driver doesn't see the SC2... which is why I got away from VPC many moons ago... their connections are always wonky or altogether absent. Anyway... I don't want to spend any more money on this. I'm already over $3,500 in the hole on this gear and cannot do what it's supposed to do. I'm now at the irritated mode. I've used Graphtecs and loved them, no problems using them at all... directly from Illustrator. Just don't have the money to afford one!

the graphtec would have only been $1800 - seriously you have $3500 into trying to make a sc work on your mac?  :wacko:

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

the graphtec would have only been $1800 - seriously you have $3500 into trying to make a sc work on your mac?  :wacko:

No, I bought a plotter cutter the software and a laminator, silly. What good is any of it if the one thing you NEED, the plotter, doesn't work? I can do without the Facebook-type razzing and would rather benefit from a productive answer, but thanks for your input.

5 minutes ago, SicSkinz said:

No, I bought a plotter cutter the software and a laminator, silly. What good is any of it if the one thing you NEED, the plotter, doesn't work? I can do without the Facebook-type razzing and would rather benefit from a productive answer, but thanks for your input.

Did you try Signcut?  It is for a Mac.  It is all over this forum that Scalp was a hobby software for crafters. .  With many glitches.  Signcut is a professional software with great support. 

• Like 2

From what I have gatered in three pages of this thread --- the plotter does work.

What you are having issues with is the little red laser pointer.

11 minutes ago, SicSkinz said:

I believe you're misinterpreting his comment. Yes, the Graphtec would only cost $1800, it would work out of the box, and comes withe cutting software for both, Mac and Windows. Then you'd have a working cutter. You could've used the $1700 to buy your laminator.

• Like 1

What are you printing with?  if a latex or solvent for decals why not go with a graphtec or roland with reliable auto registration mark sensor - Just trying t wrap my head around the $3500 was all - it makes sense if you are using it in conjunction with other equipment and that is the cost but then again using a value cutter after investing in a solvent/latex and laminator is confusing - no razzing just trying to figure out the statement.  heck we see people trying to use water based ink for outdoor use or things that need cast vinyl to contour with and that doesn't make sense for a product that last.

29 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

From what I have gathered in three pages of this thread --- the plotter does work.

What you are having issues with is the little red laser pointer.

Actually it is moving the cutting head at the setup of registration marks screen using keyboard commands that is the problem. After rereading the post, you say you can get the first point set, when doing that are you using the keyboard to make the movements? If that is the case I would suspect the problem is the software. Would seem like it is locking up for some reason. Can you press the Previous button and does the software respond?

On 2/28/2019 at 9:37 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you try Signcut?  It is for a Mac.  It is all over this forum that Scalp was a hobby software for crafters. .  With many glitches.  Signcut is a professional software with great support. 

Sorry, I do not have time to study Forums and look up keywords, I'm trying to run a business and have a tendency of taking developer's and reseller's words as golden and expect actual PLUG & PLAY. Anyway, I went to the SignCut site... there are no prices anywhere and the WordPress site is highly aggravating, but whatever... Do you know how much the software is?