cotton62

New to this!!!

Wanting to buy the bundle here but not sure about the software.I’m not good with computers and have read that the vinyl master cut is hard to use I only want this to use for woodworking projects have a old cricut and have problems using that any feedback would help Thanks

If your new to all this, especially vector graphics, it is all hard to use.  Vector graphic programs have more options than a commercial airliner cockpit.  I've never used Vinyl Master, but have heard good things about its capabilities.  I think they have differing tiers of the program, so the most you can afford.

Going with a program that drives the vinyl cutter and does design all in one is one route, like Vinyl Master.  The other route is to go with one program to cut, and another dedicated design program for designs.  Going with a dedicated program, you learn skills that can be applied to other en-devours in graphic design.

Inkscape is free, very capable given it is open source.  Adobe products like Illustrator are prevalent to a super majority in industry, so learning them give you transferable skills.  They are the most expensive.  I use CorelDraw. but it is much smaller following.  What ever you go with, it is going to take a great amount of time.  You could probably get skilled enough to get things done in 120 hours or so.  Intermediate competence in a few months.  Mastery takes years.

Think budget first.

How much space you have or size of cutter you want (24" is much more versatile than a 15").

Mac or PC.

Get the best cutter you can within your budget that meets your requirements!

Id steer clear of the MH cutters. ive seen lots of posts about people with problems with them. I'd say the lowest you'd want to go is the SC cutters.

i also think the VM Cut software (which comes with the cutters I think) should be perfectly fine to start with.

1 hour ago, Scratchthejeepguy said:

Id steer clear of the MH cutters. ive seen lots of posts about people with problems with them. I'd say the lowest you'd want to go is the SC cutters.

i also think the VM Cut software (which comes with the cutters I think) should be perfectly fine to start with.

Thanks

If you want to go with what appears to be the lowest complaint rate of the beginner cutters, I'd say that would be the LaserPoint.

IF you need a cutter that's OSX compatible, then you need to start looking at the Titan series and up.

Best cutter for the budget it still the way to go though.

11 hours ago, cotton62 said:

Everyone says the MH cutters are bad I have a budget of only $400 to start out any recommendations for a begginner 

They sell a LOT of the MH just due due price and there are several on the forum who make them work but if you are technically challenged you will be better served with the SC2. It will be less finicky and a little more accurate. You need a cutting utility program no matter the choice of cutter. VM is pretty easy to use. The version that comes with the cutter will be the basic "cut" version and will do very basic things. If you find that you need more design capabilities you can upgrade or you can use the free Inkscape program that was mentioned by dcbevins and then use the VM Cut to send it to the cutter. 

12 hours ago, cotton62 said:

Everyone says the MH cutters are bad I have a budget of only $400 to start out any recommendations for a begginner 

This is some of the problems with the MH cutter.  Very limited memory,  static problems, tracking problems, connection problems. It is a bottom of the barrel cutter. Even if you have to save a little bit longer, buy a better cutter than the MH. You won't regret it.

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

They sell a LOT of the MH just due due price and there are several on the forum who make them work but if you are technically challenged you will be better served with the SC2. It will be less finicky and a little more accurate. You need a cutting utility program no matter the choice of cutter. VM is pretty easy to use. The version that comes with the cutter will be the basic "cut" version and will do very basic things. If you find that you need more design capabilities you can upgrade or you can use the free Inkscape program that was mentioned by dcbevins and then use the VM Cut to send it to the cutter. 

What other cutters would you recommend in $400 range for a begginner

13 hours ago, haumana said:

If you want to go with what appears to be the lowest complaint rate of the beginner cutters, I'd say that would be the LaserPoint.

IF you need a cutter that's OSX compatible, then you need to start looking at the Titan series and up.

Best cutter for the budget it still the way to go though.

Lost me on laser point and OS X lol I mainly do woodworking and sometimes vinyl on old windows 

Are you using Windows or Mac?  it makes a difference.  The lower cutters  MH, SC2 and Laserpoint are not Mac compatible.   

21 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

3 posts above   "bust the budget by $20 and get the SC2."

But I was hoping for a bundle that is around $485 on the SC2 plus it comes with paint mask stencil not sure I would use that a lot decisions decisions lol

Windows 7 is fine. Preferred over 8 I think. I use a mac to design but usually cut from a windows 7 laptop that sits over by my cutter. The SC2 is probably your best bang for the buck to get into it. 

The bundles can be of savings if the added stuff is something you need. I bought my first cutter in a bundle but found that I preferred other tools in most cases. Your mileage may vary. I tried a dental pic to weed with and it just doesn't work for me. I prefer a sharp pair of tweezers. The basic squeegees are a little rough so I usually step it up and buy a little better grade. You'll want some vinyl but what brand and color? The Green Star is a thick cheap vinyl that has it's uses but most step up to the Oracal offerings for permanent work. I do use the Green star in some scenarios though. Works better than the rest of sandblasting glass. Mostly because it's thick and will actually come back off a little easier. 

Here is a list of what I would say you will need. A lot you may already have or can grab at walmart. 

Cutter, some sort of weed tool, squeegee, application tape ( paper is preferred by most of us experienced users. I like R-Tape 4076 RLA or 4075) , cutting board, some type of knife (I prefer X-acto but some don't), a ruler to use as a straight edge to trim is also helpful. I use a 6.5"x 24.5" Fiskars clear ruler with the little 1/4" lines to trim out my finished and taped product. If you are applying these you will also want some rubbing alcohol and other basic cleaners that don't have ammonia. I use a pre-wash solution of about 10% denatured alcohol and then a final wipe with rubbing alcohol. 

The app tape is expensive because you have to buy it in such a lang roll. Choose a size that will cover most of what you do without having to use two strips. Just my $0.02.

8 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Windows 7 is fine. Preferred over 8 I think. I use a mac to design but usually cut from a windows 7 laptop that sits over by my cutter. The SC2 is probably your best bang for the buck to get into it. 

The bundles can be of savings if the added stuff is something you need. I bought my first cutter in a bundle but found that I preferred other tools in most cases. Your mileage may vary. I tried a dental pic to weed with and it just doesn't work for me. I prefer a sharp pair of tweezers. The basic squeegees are a little rough so I usually step it up and buy a little better grade. You'll want some vinyl but what brand and color? The Green Star is a thick cheap vinyl that has it's uses but most step up to the Oracal offerings for permanent work. I do use the Green star in some scenarios though. Works better than the rest of sandblasting glass. Mostly because it's thick and will actually come back off a little easier. 

Here is a list of what I would say you will need. A lot you may already have or can grab at walmart. 

Cutter, some sort of weed tool, squeegee, application tape ( paper is preferred by most of us experienced users. I like R-Tape 4076 RLA or 4075) , cutting board, some type of knife (I prefer X-acto but some don't), a ruler to use as a straight edge to trim is also helpful. I use a 6.5"x 24.5" Fiskars clear ruler with the little 1/4" lines to trim out my finished and taped product. If you are applying these you will also want some rubbing alcohol and other basic cleaners that don't have ammonia. I use a pre-wash solution of about 10% denatured alcohol and then a final wipe with rubbing alcohol. 

The app tape is expensive because you have to buy it in such a lang roll. Choose a size that will cover most of what you do without having to use two strips. Just my $0.02.

Thank you so much

Another question noticed they had a SC2 that is refurbished with same warranty  would it be worth buying and spending the money I save to buy things I need

buying refurb'd is always a personal decision. if i am confident in a company that will stand by their warranty, then i am willing to buy refurb'd. other people will not buy refurb'd no matter what. if the warranty is the same and the return policy is the same, it's definitely worth considering.

30 minutes ago, haumana said:

buying refurb'd is always a personal decision. if i am confident in a company that will stand by their warranty, then i am willing to buy refurb'd. other people will not buy refurb'd no matter what. if the warranty is the same and the return policy is the same, it's definitely worth considering.

It is from US Cutter right now i’m trying to stay under $400

If you have a specific goal in mind with what you plan to use the cutter for I'd skip the bundle. Get the cutter and software, should be included, a stand for the cutter (not absolutely necessary but very worth having) and get a roll or two of vinyl in the colors you want. That's all you really need. Everything else you might need can be found a local stores or improvised with stuff laying around the house.

• Like 2

I think that thing comes with a stand but no basket. I could be wrong, pretty sure the new one does anyway maybe check on the refurbished.