seminolemuscle

mh871 grinding and overlapping

I have a VERY lightly used MH871 that I've had for two years now but have only used maybe 5 times. On every cut so far for this current project, after about 30 seconds I hear a grinding sound and I go to investigate and two separate shapes have been overlapped, like the cutter lost its position. Is this a belt tightness issue? The thing is in perfect condition. I need help here, wasting a ton of vinyl and at this rate I won't be able to finish the project.

Put a pen in the blade holder and use paper until you figure out the problem instead of wasting vinyl.  Make sure that the white wheels of the carriage head are firmly down in the track.  Has the cutter been stored in a climate controlled area without moisture getting to the electronics? How does the cutter act, if just using the arrows to move the carriage head?  Is the grit roller tight?  The vinyl should be slack and enough vinyl loose to do the order. Should never be pulling from a roll while cutting.  That's all I can think of.   

The carriage head wheels seem to be pretty tight. It's been stored in its fabric cover in a basement with moderately good humidity control. None of my random fixes are working yet. I've tried putting a cylinder behind the belt to keep it tighter and that did nothing. It sounds like the carriage is jamming up against something, but that isn't happening.

With the power off, do the carriage move (with some resistance), back and forth freely?

Have you been looking at the cutter during the grinding sound? If you're not in the room at the time and just seeing the aftermath I would guess the cutting head is hitting the far side of the cutter. How big is your design?