tooler82

Transfer Tape

I always use RTape 4075RLA. I have some RTape AT65 clear. It works great when trying to get something lined up on a big sign. The only problem with it is it has so much static that went I pull it across the table, it wants to grab the vinyl and pick it up before I can get it down. Can anyone recommend a good clear tape that doesn't cause this static when unrolling it? Or is that the nature of the beast with this clear transfer tape because it's not paper tape?

I think that's just the nature of the beast. You might try laying the tape out upside down first then lay the vinyl onto it.

• Like 1

I have never used the roller style but I hear they work pretty good. I use a Big Squeegee with good results. 

19 hours ago, tooler82 said:

That’s my little setup I designed 

65642087-3E6B-45D7-8B89-A39D5EBA81C0.jpeg

Mine was not nearly as well built as that but I've done similar however the static lift was always a problem. If they are anything reasonably small or safely fit on the app tape I just flip the tape sticky side up and place the work face down into it. Everything else that are too long to safely do that or too close to the edges and I don't want to miss an edge I just use my 24" Big Squeegee. I don't do a lot of sign vinyl anyone but I just taped off two 8ft sections last weekend on my 6ft table with no helpers. Once learned the BS works easy. I think those rubber roller style that hold the roll probably work great too but I think you would still have the issue of running at least a few inches out so you know where it's going to head so you don't run crooked off the edge of the work on long stuff. 

• Like 1

I think the next thing I have to tape I will try the tape facing up. I’ll just flip my roll on try that. Yeah the static is rough. I usually always use the paper tape, but sometimes I have to make signs that are like 8 rows of text and the height of the sign is 4’. It’s just easier to do a line at a time with the clear so I can see my marks to lay it. If I use paper tape, I trim it and the very bottom of the don’t ans the top to line it up better. It’s just so much easier when you can use the clear and see exactly where the mark is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tooler82 said:

I think the next thing I have to tape I will try the tape facing up. I’ll just flip my roll on try that. Yeah the static is rough. I usually always use the paper tape, but sometimes I have to make signs that are like 8 rows of text and the height of the sign is 4’. It’s just easier to do a line at a time with the clear so I can see my marks to lay it. If I use paper tape, I trim it and the very bottom of the don’t ans the top to line it up better. It’s just so much easier when you can use the clear and see exactly where the mark is. 

Careful trimming is a big key to success for sure. When I started out I just whacked it off wherever and didn't pay attention. I NOW trim as square and exact as I can. I generally use 1/2" or 1/8" edges so they are consistent and if all your app tape is square to your vinyl then you just have to line up the tape and it's 10 times faster and more accurate than trying to see through the paper and measure to a letter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow. I just noticed my phone sucks. I can’t even understand what I wrote it changed words so much. I don’t know why they call them smart phones. They’re dumb as hell. Btw, it changed phones to phone so, but I caught it and fixed it. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Careful trimming is a big key to success for sure. When I started out I just whacked it off wherever and didn't pay attention. I NOW trim as square and exact as I can. I generally use 1/2" or 1/8" edges so they are consistent and if all your app tape is square to your vinyl then you just have to line up the tape and it's 10 times faster and more accurate than trying to see through the paper and measure to a letter. 

yep, at the start i just cut it off however. no telling how i might cut a decal. now i almost have them all perfect square or whatever. but  if multiples all r def  same size. and for laying app tape sticky side dn and static creating issues, i use scotch double sided clear tape. can get it any where

I've had some improvement dealing with coraplast, wiping the coraplast with a dryer sheet before the transfer tape.

Was thinking, my laminate that I use on my cold roll laminator has static too. Guess it’s just the nature of the beast on plasticy (sp) wraps.