Sign in to follow this  
Scratchthejeepguy

What to bring for wall install?

So yesterday a customer finally nailed down exactly what they wanted and I cut it out.  I got them all covered in transfer tape today and they want me to come install it tomorrow (if all goes well with their timeline). I'm wondering how I should prep the wall and what I should bring?  This is my first real install on an indoor wall, and I don't want to forget something stupid that I should have brought.

This is a painted Sheetrock wall install of 3 large decals about 70" X 36" using 631 and paper transfer tape.

I've already tested the walls with 751 and it stuck very well.  Here's what I'm thinking to bring, let me know if I should bring anything else:

Vinyl

Blue painters tape

Ladder

Level

Tape measure

Pencil

Exacto knife

Scissors

squeegees

Cleaning cloth

How should I prep the walls? Common surface cleaner, or soapy water spray, then isopropyl alcohol?

Tweezers.  If it is not a smooth wall, maybe add a tennis ball to your list.  In that same vein, something to push on the vinyl while you lift it up with tweezers like this https://goo.gl/UyUAvX if it won't stick to the wall and wants to lift with the transfer tape.  631 is much less sticky than 751.  You could have issues if the wall has texture.  Alcohol could discolor the wall.  A cleaner that won't discolor and dries fast.

• Like 1

I avoid install indoors as much as I can but I came to the conclusion that a dry micro-cloth was the best. Any type of cleaner seemed to cause me issues even if I wiped it down a day early. I think it moisturizes the paint or something. While the dust with dry cloth and have a LOT of patience. If it's water based 631 do NOT try the wet removal trick where you spray the paper tape after you get it up. That works great on cars and stuff but not on walls. I tended to have to carefully work the app tape off while continuing to work the vinyl back down on the wall. It will want to pull up often but you can push it back on the wall. I have a felt squeegee that the wrap guys use (I think) that is sort of like the soccer ball and will help push the vinyl down into the texture of the wall and you can go ver the vinyl with it after the app tape is off too. 

This is just one mans opinion your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1

My felt looks similar to this but rectangle so you can use all the sides. I have trimmed it a time or two in my miter saw when the edge started to get worn. I just saw it at my local supply shop one day and bought it to try out. 

<edit> well look what USCutter has. Whoot whoot! 

https://www.uscutter.com/GreenStar-Deluxe-Felt-Squeegee

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 8.34.49 PM.png

I've ended up doing several large wall jobs recently and I think I've been lucky because they were some of the easiest jobs I've ever done. My install kit is about the same as yours. Vinyl, tape to mark the placement of where the decal needs to go, tape measure and level to find where it needs to go, ladder, squeegee. I just gave the wall a quick wipe down with a rag before starting. I do keep an install kit with a bunch of other goodies in my car so I had a bunch of other tools if I needed them, but so far that's all I've used.