Alicia-Zee

Hey ~ I'm Alicia Zee!

Second generation sign maker ~ dad(deceased) & mom, stepdad, sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and many family friends are or were also sign painters. Began at age 6, painting snowflakes on Xmas windows with my family and from 16 to 20 took 'Sign Graphics' at LA Trade Tech(seen in 'SignPainters:the movie'). I then left for the Netherlands where, after a few years of bumming around Europe I was employed as set painter at a theater where I then worked for 15 years. Eventually, I began to miss being able to visit with my family more often and so moved back to LA. where I continued working as set painter for several years, until I began to bore of the L.A. film 'industry' and little-by-little began making signs again. Now, for the past couple of years, I can happily say that sign making makes up about 95% of my income(I still do the occasional set paint or faux finish). I'm also thrilled to see so many new sign makers out there and that the trade may not be going the way of lamplighter or switchboard operator after all.

As of July I've(more or less) conquered my plotterphobia and am now the owner of a pre-owned Roland Camm-1 Pro GX-300(which I am presently trying to convince to obey me, with limited success). Hoping to tap into some helpful plotter and/or Flexi aficionados, as well as just meet some cool people.

Thanks, Alicia Zee

• Like 2

I really admire the old signmakers - today most "sign" people have no idea what a maul stick is.   Found out a year ago that Mack Brush company is about 45 minutes away when taking a pet to a new vet - had to make a stop and pay respects!   Salute!

• Like 3

Hey...who you callin' old! ;D Just kidding...thanks! Yeah, I'd heard from another sign painter that Mack was out that way. My friend actually planned his road trip around making a stop by there. I'd love to visit there myself one day! :)

12974483_10154157367045559_220033144641417542_n.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcomes!

I'll soon be posting a platoon of plotter problems ..but promise not to take it personally if you all scatter :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Hello and Welcome .  There's a wealth of information and very friendly folks here.

Doug