Scratchthejeepguy

Help needed! Applying transfer tape to large vinyl

I have 3 large vinyl sings cut from 631.  They are about 70" X 23.5"

I need to apply transfer tape and the tape I have is paper tape that measures about 24-1/16".

Are there any videos or tips on getting it straight and not having it miss the vinyl?  I guess maybe I should have gotten wider tape to be safe.

Look up the Big Squeegee cut vinyl tool. There are several version but the black edged one it the one for cut vinyl. I use it on almost all my projects. It does take a little practice and I usually burn about a foot at the start to get it going straight and then I use a 24" ruler to align that edge and push. There are two ways to push the tape along and I have best luck with it sitting on the work and rolling backwards as I push it. If there are small lettering I flip it around and place the roll inside the scoop. Watch a youtube and all that will make more sense.  

• Like 2

Sorry about that, seems the video is only available to people in whatever facebook group that was.  And I don't know what group.  I sent him a message asking if he'll make the video public, so we will see.

So a man named Ben Ayer had posted a video and I sent him a message and he sent me these pictures and another video.  So the credit goes to Ben on this one.

"Teflon cutting board from Walmart.

3” pvc pipe small board

some felt and glue plus four screws

was the cheapest way I found to do it

Hope this helped"

taper_1.jpg

taper_2.jpg

taper_3.jpg

taper_4.jpg

• Like 1

So what do you do with a 24" or 30" roll of transfer tape?  It would look to be pretty awkward.  Those rolls are heavy.  You guys with those machine shops should look into making yourselves a Mask-Rite transfer tape applicator.  It will hold, any width of transfer tape and you can just keep on masking any length. I have done a 16 ft decal on an 8 ft table with it.  With a Mask-Rite you don't have anything bolted to your table either. Just put it away under your table. 

Shane that's pretty much a Big Squeegee home made. I think they run about $100 if I remember so home made is cheaper if you don't count your time. 

I just use a regular size squeegee. I have a long table and a rod that holds my transfer tape. Pull out my tape, press down the end to hold, squeegee the middle, then the bottom half, then the top half, and repeat over and over until I have it all taped. If it’s too wide, I use multiple strips. 

Also if it’s longer than my table, I let it hang off under my tape roller. Once I tape down to the tape, I pick it up and slide it more on the table until I get it all done 

I’ll post a picture of my setup tomorrow when I get to work and show you what I have. I work by myself. 

• Like 1

I've learned to do it a different way without the need for extra tools.    

I have my transfer tape setup so it unrolls with the sticky side up.   I roll the long graphics up and only stick about 1-2' down onto the transfer tape and squeegee it down from the back of the graphic.  from there I just have to pull more tape out, roll the graphic out, and squeegee the back.   Doing it this way you don't need a crazy wide table.    

I've done a 12' long graphic this way and it was so easy.  After I'm done I'll flip everything over so the transfer tape is up and I'll squeegee it again just for good measures.   

• Like 3

I use the app tape roller that came with my combo pkg. its 28" but I have 36" tape on it now.  I mount it on a folding table with furniture clamps. so nothing set up permanent . for now. the largest I did was basically my 1st big job...… our store sign 3'x12' wont ever forget it.. did it wet apply , with help

and it depends. any large I guess im using the roller the "correct" way sticky dn, for smaller stuff I have sticky up.  each job I try to get a lil better. but for some reason every single time I try using paper tape I wrinkle the 1st 1 or 2.

8 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

I use the app tape roller that came with my combo pkg. its 28" but I have 36" tape on it now.  I mount it on a folding table with furniture clamps. so nothing set up permanent . for now. the largest I did was basically my 1st big job...… our store sign 3'x12' wont ever forget it.. did it wet apply , with help

and it depends. any large I guess im using the roller the "correct" way sticky dn, for smaller stuff I have sticky up.  each job I try to get a lil better. but for some reason every single time I try using paper tape I wrinkle the 1st 1 or 2.

I used to wrinkle paper tape, but never do anymore. I pull the tape out past the stickers, and press it down to the table past the vinyl. Then I squeegee the side to the table so it doesn’t move. Then I squeegee about 8-10” down the center. Next with my squeegee at a 45 degree angle I do the same 8-10” from the middle I just did to the bottom. Then the same for the top and repeat until I have the whole strip taped. Never get a wrinkle anymore.