Sign in to follow this  
Sue2

Graphic sizes for t-shirts

Do you all enlarge the size of the imprint/graphics for the larger size t-shirts?  Say...XXL - 4X

If you do, do you charge more for the larger imprint size?

TIA

Sue2

I used to but stopped unless asked to specifically. I DO have a conversation with the client if I am doing something like a family reunion for instance and generally make a design that fits fine on the really big and squeezes on most of the smalls and a few of the youth and then possibly a reduced size for the much smaller kids. If you explain the cost associated then they usually are a little less picky or they will pay more for the effort. 

• Like 3

At 6' 7" I wear a 3X-Tall.  Best friends owned a silkscreen shop until recently and they would throw an extra on for me all the time if they were doing something fun.  It was almost always the same screen as they used for everything else and you really couldn't tell.    When I would order for our volunteer fire department there were a couple of 4X and 5X, so they created a second screen with a bigger image, but it really wasn't that noticeable so we stopped doing it.

Making a larger image can get to be a problem if you're doing multiple colors in silk screen.  The weight gets to adding up.  A 10x10 image is 100 square inches of ink, but a 12x12 is 144, nearly 50% more ink.  You can really tell the difference.  The shirt is already heavier and now it has all that extra ink.  The bigger image also means a bigger sweaty spot.

• Like 2