mmjcarr

Minnesota Mike here.....

Hello. Just bought a LaserPoint 3 ARMS Contour Cut Vinyl Cutter to mess around with. My buddies and I are into Jeep's and what people are charging for custom decals have driven me to start making my own for friends and see where it takes me. Gonna set it up in my garage and use my workbench as the headquarters. Any suggestions? tips? tricks? 

Thanks in advance! 

MC (Eagan, MN) 

Welcome from Michigan  - setting up in a garage can be hard - vinyl should be climate controlled when stored and depending on your climate the plotter can suffer too.  lots of tips and tricks on the forum - when you have a question most things have been asked in the past and the search box in the upper right is the key to finding answers without waiting for someone to respond 

Hey Dakotagrax - Appreciate the response! I have my garage heated in the winter to about 45 degrees and i'm in the process of looking for a humidifier for the warmer months. With that said, would you still recommend not setting it up in that environment? I ask because Michigan is very similar to Minnesota with the exception of The Vikings vs The Lions. :D

Thanks again! 

Mike 

We don't talk about the Lions (motor city kitties)  or the TIgers :(  Now Michigan State is another story ( for my friends in Ohio remember "Buckeyes are those nuts that hang below Michigan" )

I personally set up in the basement - my house is very climate controlled because of the eco solvent printer but I can tell the difference in vinyl when humidity gets too high.  I have a natural gas heater in my garage I don't use much anymore for 2 reasons - the by product of the unvented heater is water - and we found on 2 different sets of vehicles the natural gas heater promotes rust in  the vehicles (2 year was for a very sick shepherd that couldn't stay in the house many days and other day was convenience as in liking a nice warm car).  I can keep my vinyl in the house at 40 percent humidity (summers it does get up to 50 percent when running dehumidifier) and from 65-75 degrees - have found my vinyl stays in great condition longer than most recommend with those conditions.

• Like 1

I'd have to double check the spec sheet, but I believe vinyl is recommended to be stored at about 65 and below 75. Don't remember exactly, I just remember it was a pretty small range and colder than I typically keep my house in the summer time.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site.  I'm into Jeeps also!  See if any of your buddies remember a guy named Scratch that drives a gold Rubicon and has an area in Hudson called Flatfender Farms to wheel in.  I used to have events a couple times a year.  Good luck on your purchase!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scratchthejeepguy said:

Welcome to the site.  I'm into Jeeps also!  See if any of your buddies remember a guy named Scratch that drives a gold Rubicon and has an area in Hudson called Flatfender Farms to wheel in.  I used to have events a couple times a year.  Good luck on your purchase!

Haha, I bet they do. I will ask my buddy Dustin who got me started. Thank you!