Sign in to follow this  
videorov

Cut and pressure setting for 641 CAL vinyl

I have the MH721-MK2 cutter and wonder what a good start setting pressure and speed for Oracal 641 Economy CAL vinyl and  transfer tape for it.

I have some Orafol transfer tape and sometimes it doesn't pick up the vinyl off the backing sheet real easy? Maybe there is a better transfer tape.Tape might be getting old too

if it does that. I just started to use this cutter again for some projects. I bought it new and has low hrs. on it. Im using the SURE CUTS A Lot Pro software.

videorov

You must set your blade correctly first, that determines your force.  You do not state how you set your blade depth. There are not any set in stone numbers for force, speed etc.  Oracal 641 should cut just like Oracal 651 or any other calendared vinyl.   Most calendared vinyl is about 3 mil.  

You do not lift the decal from the backing paper, that is wrong.  You apply the transfer tape to the decal, squeegee real good, turn the decal over with transfer tape side down and slowly peel the backing paper away from the decal. Always peel the backing paper away from the decal.  It makes a huge difference. If you go lifting the decal, you will pull your transfer tape away as well as lift up the backing paper and it will be stuck to the decal and be ruint.  Always start slow with a vinyl cutter until you learn your machine.

• Like 1

I will have to read about setting the blade depth. Thanks for reminding me about peeling the backing off and not the transfer tape to try and lift the graphic off:)

That works much better:) Just have to get the blade depth set.

Thanks for you help Skeeter.

videorov

This is the correct way to set your blade depth.   Your welcome

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.  You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder.

What is a good pressure setting and speed to start with do you think, and then adjust from there.

Thanks for all your help Skeeter.

depends on which mainboard version you have - the numbers are different for the different versions of the board - force can range from 80 to 250 (same force but different number representing that same force - speed can be from 10-80 - again same speed just different numbers representing it

set your blade and force according to Skeeters instructions under "instructional contributions" and slow the cutter down to where you get good cuts

you really won't be able to - the key is learning YOUR particular cutter 

here is skeeters instructions I tried to direct you to explaining blade exposure and force :

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

I understand doing the hand thing with the blade and adjusting it till it just cuts through the vinyl and not the backing. 

I will have to see what the grams of pressure it starts at and adjust with a test button cut and go from there.

1 hour ago, videorov said:

I understand doing the hand thing with the blade and adjusting it till it just cuts through the vinyl and not the backing. 

I will have to see what the grams of pressure it starts at and adjust with a test button cut and go from there.

Just start light and work into it. I would go 50g and work in 5g increments the first time. Once you get used to your machine you will have a better idea. Most find that they cut at a certain pressure for calendared vinyl and then a lighter one for cast. My machine only varies about 5g between the two but my old P-Cut was more like 10 -20 different if I remember correctly.

• Like 1