constance clark

Help New to Cutting

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get over lapping letters to cut so that I can use two colors for a stencil application.  I've attached a pdf of my file.  I can't figure out how to get the "c" in clark to cut with a secondary cut to allow for an overlay.  

Any help would be appreciated.  I am new to the program and the terminology associated with each process. 

Thanks

est sign.pdf

Hi Constance,  you'll be fine, just have patience.

I looked through my VinylMaster program and couldn't find this functionality (in VM Cut version). It's called "Punch Through"

Can I offer a suggestion?

Download and install SignBlazer Elements, the feature is within the Arrange menu -->  Weld -- Punch Through

You can then export the design as .eps and import it back into VM for cutting (or just cut directly from SB).

You could just layer the wording over the C without cutting the C. There will be a slight bump at the edges of the C, but unless you're really looking close it wouldn't be noticeable

Inkscape is another good free program for designing vector images.

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

Inkscape is another good free program for designing vector images.

Can you provide the steps in Inkscape to 'Punch Through' ?  What PATH menu function will do that? I've tried them all and don't see what we need here.

Union - Difference - Intersection - Exclusion - Division - Cut Path - Combine - Break Apart

(SignBlazer does it with a single click into the Arrange menu /Weld --> PunchThrough )

I wouldn't sent a newbie to play around with Inkscape, honestly. Just the interface itself will explode her head!
(It is similar to Adobe Illustrator in complexity, and certainly NOT for a raw novice).

Yeah, true, Inkscape can be a bit daunting, a handy tool to have though. :)

To achieve the desired effect in Inkscape you need to duplicate the wording that crosses the C, then select the wording and the C and do a Difference command. The duplicated wording will be deleted and you will be left with the original words and the C cut out where the words cross over it. The difference command uses the layers of objects to determine how it behaves. The object on top will be deleted and will cut through the lower object.

I also just noticed that in the PDF anyway, the letters are all individual. Prior to cutting you'll want to weld them all together so you get a clean cut.

Constance -- do what I suggested, please.

I have no idea what was just said by darcshadow, it just got me confused and I'm not a fresh newbie!
I'm sure he is correct but really, it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through when SBE does it in a jiffy with a single command and that is just PunchThrough, within the Arrange menu /Weld/ --> PunchThrough.

You DO NOT weld.    (EDITED: After you achieve the punch-through, you can then select JUST the script text, which apparently requires welding to connect the individual letters, but that is a completely different issue than what is being asked here)

Once you have installed SBE, you'll be able to do this without breaking a sweat.

And, if anyone using VMCut can chime in, perhaps there is a way in that program, I just couldn't spend my time searching. (it is not listed in the HELP search)

Yes, the welding is a different matter but will need to be done. It can be done before or after the punch through, doesn't make much difference.

I may have made my original statement too wordy.Here's how I would do it in Inkscape

Step one, weld the script font - Select all the script text and do a Union (Ctrl++).

Step two, hit ctrl+D to duplicate the script font.

Step Three, hold down ctrl and select the C

Step Four do a difference command, (Ctrl+-)

Done.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.