Meucow

Cutter to buy: IF I bought a laptop/servo/SCAL

Happy Labor Day all....Ok - weird topic title I know BUT... I have a Mac, and use SCAL4 and need to continue using it as ALL my files from years and years are with it and I actually love it...it's a perfect program for me. Sooo, because I have a Mac, many were helping direct me and seemed Titan was best option. BUT, if I could find a cheap PC laptop and just put the software on that and then hooked up an inexpensive external drive (to save/move all my SCAL files)...what THEN would be the best model for me. As like many, on a budget but really need to get the best machine I can possibly afford..I'd like to find a cutter that has a servo motor but the lowest priced option in that arena.  

I'm just weighing this option- seeing if it's a better price than getting a Titan 2 (first real option for Mac and with servo)... probably need the smallest cutter available.

I was shocked when I started the process of looking that the software/machines are so PC centric. I never expected that.  I use a Silhouette Cameo and know it's a craft machine but cannot believe how well it's served me. I use it ONLY to cut stencils, I have a business and use the stencils to make wood signs.  I recently learned that this machine was manufactured by the same company that makes GRAPHTEC. I have had this machine for so many years and literally run it day/night. I need the next possible step-up. I know you have to spend money to make money but seems like timing is just never right to drop a hunk of change...but my machine just might be on it's last leg so need to pull the trigger now. 

This forum is wonderful and cannot tell you how much it means to have the input/feedback from you all... I thought this would be such an easy purchase and I'm weeks and weeks in to the research and head is spinning trying to find the best scenario.

Thank you,

Cindi

The least expensive servo is still the Titan2.    

Here is the buying guide.  You can check all this info yourself.  This is why USCUTTER spent their time writing, a very detailed buying guide.  So you can compare each cutter to the other cutters.  They are all stated whether servo or not. and whether for a Mac or PC, or both.  No one on this forum works for USCutter. And no one is going to tell you which cutter to buy.  As always buy the best that you can afford, that has been stated before.   Most of us answering your questions, have higher end vinyl cutters, Graphtecs, Summa etc. We are only reading what UScutter has posted in their buying guides.  We do not run those vinyl cutters. Dakota ran a Titan 2 briefly, other than that, you will have to look in each section of the vinyl cutter name and read comments. Once your at a higher end vinyl cutter, we don't go back down to lower end cutters.  Our cutters have lasted us 10 years or more.  

https://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new

• Like 1

...if I could find a cheap PC laptop and just put the software on that ...

Yep.

SC2 24"

• Like 1

Title said SERVO. " I'd like to find a cutter that has a servo motor but the lowest priced option in that arena."  

Cindi is all over the place, with several threads on this already, her budget is limited, and if this had been me, I would have already ordered the SC2 24" and had things up and running with a cheapie Dell Inspiron running Win7 driving the cutter operation, and if she wants to keep designing on the mac, and transfer with USB thumbdrive to the PC unit, then so be it.

I'm outta here.

I got nothing else to add.

As Mz Skeeter said, the Titan 2 is the least expensive servo motor cutter available on USC, it also happens to be Mac compatible and comes in the 28" (24") size with a stand.

If the price tag on that is too steep for you, then start working your way down the list. Titan, it's not a servo, but it's no less productive, and is also Mac compatible and comes with a stand.

Now, if I had to choose between a 28" (24") Titan 2, and a 15" Graphtec - that would be an easy choice for me, because a) I really, really need the stand and have no desire to clear off that much table space to do longer cuts, and b) I want to be able to handle larger pieces of vinyl which requires a larger cutter. <- One person's $0.02

Always, always - buy the best cutter you can get for your money (take the Mac/PC out of the equation, since you already own a Mac, and if you needed to buy a PC because a cutter you chose isn't Mac compatible, PC laptop costs are negligible). It is not worth, buying a lower cutter, just so it can accommodate a PC laptop into the budget. You already have cutting software on your Mac - use that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Cindi is all over the place, with several threads on this already, her budget is limited, and if this had been me, I would have already ordered the SC2 24" and had things up and running with a cheapie Dell Inspiron running Win7 driving the cutter operation, and if she wants to keep designing on the mac, and transfer with USB thumbdrive to the PC unit, then so be it.

I'm outta here.

I got nothing else to add.

I hear you, but dropping that kind of money for a cutter that can do a lot more than a table top can be a daunting decision. She's doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions before pulling the trigger. I did the same, but admittedly, there were nowhere near as many options out there. My budget was extremely limited, as well as where someone was willing to ship the cutter to Hawaii.

• Like 2

I don't think I would let the mac part of the equation influence your decision. There is always the option to find a really cheap widows laptop if need be and probably a 95% chance it won't even be a problem on the mac even including some of the lower options like the SC2. 

If you have been getting by with a cameo practically anything above the MH should be an upgrade. 

• Like 1

Thank you Haumana - appreciate you understanding that is really is a daunting decision. I have a business and you have to spend money to make money - trying to make the best decision. $800 is a lot of money for my family.  Thank for your additional comments on the cutters and your thoughts. 

Slide & Dice - I appreciate your candor. I'm trying to make the best decision. I have a Mac, run SCAL - need to continue. When I learned how most software does NOT utilize a Mac platform, that lead me to researching Mac options (those are not cheap). Just trying to ensure that if I purchased an inexpensive PC and ran appropriate software that there was not an 'obvious' cutter solution.  Per MS Skeeter's comments - seems Titan 2 is still best option. I have always been appreciative (and kind) with everyone's perspectives and assistance.

MZ Skeeter - Yes, thank you for your comments. I have been spending hours pulling up all the cutters and specs (motor and such). There are so many and just wanted a little nudge in the right direction regarding the beginning end that has a servo. Thank you for all your great insight and perspective. That buying guide link is super helpful - I never saw that before. I've been just pulling up each cutter and specs...so thank you :)

2 minutes ago, Meucow said:

When I learned how most software does NOT utilize a Mac platform, that lead me to researching Mac options (those are not cheap). Just trying to ensure that if I purchased an inexpensive PC and ran appropriate software that there was not an 'obvious' cutter solution. 

The only software you need to concern yourself about is the one that you will use to cut. You already have SCAL and that should (hopefully) work well with any of the machines you are considering. If you can afford it, because I know it's a bit pricier - go with the Ttitan 2, that would be the 'entry level' servo machine you're looking for.

You absolutely need to spend money to make money when it comes to cutters, but with a bigger, better cutter,  you should also be able to do more - and that will help for your return on investment. It really didn't take me long to get my money back when I bought my original LaserPoint, and I know it's not going to take me long to make my money back on my Graphtec. I waited over 10+ years to upgrade from my LP to my Graphtec because there was nothing wrong with my LP. It's not the top of line machine, but it got the job done, and it did it well. The Graphtec, on the other hand, does it quicker and better - but my customers do not know the difference as to which machine the vinyl got on.

The only other bit of advice I would give to you - whatever machine you buy, take the time and fist full of dollars and buy yourself a few Clean Cut Blades. It makes a world of difference.

Just now, Meucow said:

Thank you Haumana - appreciate you understanding that is really is a daunting decision. I have a business and you have to spend money to make money - trying to make the best decision. $800 is a lot of money for my family.  Thank for your additional comments on the cutters and your thoughts. 

Slide & Dice - I appreciate your candor. I'm trying to make the best decision. I have a Mac, run SCAL - need to continue. When I learned how most software does NOT utilize a Mac platform, that lead me to researching Mac options (those are not cheap). Just trying to ensure that if I purchased an inexpensive PC and ran appropriate software that there was not an 'obvious' cutter solution.  Per MS Skeeter's comments - seems Titan 2 is still best option. I have always been appreciative (and kind) with everyone's perspectives and assistance.

MZ Skeeter - Yes, thank you for your comments. I have been spending hours pulling up all the cutters and specs (motor and such). There are so many and just wanted a little nudge in the right direction regarding the beginning end that has a servo. Thank you for all your great insight and perspective.

On the bright side whatever cutter you end up with there are software and cutting utility options that will work for you. I look at them as peripheral items that support the cutter. I design strictly on a mac. Hate windows but I have a windows laptop that I use for quickbooks (since mac quickbooks is not a full program) so to be easy I set the laptop over by the cutter (across the room) and I pull my files off the mac on a thumb and open them in my cutting program (SignCut Pro 1 now outdated) and cut. I actually prefer not to have the cutter tied to my design computer so I am not hindered when it's busy.

I design in AI (Adobe Illustrator) which is a mother bear to learn but is more happy in a mac environment than a windows and once learned can do about anything you want. The only reason I bring this up is that in the end if you NEED to YOU can learn a new way and there are several out there that are mac friendly so don't feel like your stuck in a corner. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Hate windows but I have a windows laptop that I use for quickbooks (since mac quickbooks is not a full program)

I feel your pain. I do the same thing, except I just run Win7 via Parallels for Quickbooks and SBE. There is no Quicken love for Macs :-\

• Haha 1

Wild goose - it's a good thought process utilizing the PC... Regardless, so grateful for everyone's insight. Hope all had a good Labor day. :)

Calling US cutter with some questions tomorrow. You all have been so helpful.

Cindi

• Like 1