Meucow

REDUCE nodes in a distressed font (SCAL 4 (not pro) - help please....

Hello all. I work with SCAL 4 (not pro) and I have a huge amount of text with a distressed font. I need to reduce the amount of nodes/cutting.... I know how to UNION and how to SIMPLIFY....

is there a way I can reduce the nodes even more? Is there a way I can just use the outline ( I don't need the inside elements of the distressing, just some of the distressing on the outside/outline of the font). Font example attached.... Thank you so much.

Cindi 

Screenshot 2018-08-31 08.32.12.png

Not a SCAL user although I did at one time have a beta version of the original SCALP. Didn't love it to tell the truth. Still I would think you can select the inner items and delete them without deleting the whole letter. I know SCALP likes to cut from native fonts without converting to outlines which the rest of the known world does. SCALP just does this on an auto setting at cut time which pretty much means you don't have as much control of your work. See if you have an option to convert the text to lines and curves or something and then you can manipulate it like you want. Other than that pick a similar clean font and distress it yourself. Some designer distressed that one. Elderkin Med Reg appears to be the same base font as that according to find-my-font. 

<edit added> You might also want to download Inkscape. Free open source vector design program. A little clunky IMO but hey it's free and mac compatible. You can certainly pull your work in there and edit it then send it to SCAL. Inkscape is native SVG and I am pretty sure SCAL will cut an SVG. SCAL Pro definitely will. I know you are looking at a new cutter eventually and whatever you end up with will come with a cutting program than may be superior to your older SCAL version. 

• Like 1

Just a word about double posting. Most of the regulars on the forum keep up with traffic using the "Unread Content" button up in the top right area so all the new posts show regardless of what section they are in. It's best to pick the MOST likely forum and just post once. Some poor person in the future will see each one in their search for answers and curse you for posting in two spots. I am actually going to delete the other one that is in the font forum. 

• Like 1

Thank you- greatly appreciate your help. I'm just on a major deadline and beyond confused...this is NOT making sense. I even 'filled in' the inside shapes and then there were MORE nodes/cutting. (attached pic) It doesn't make sense...  I tried to bring the file into Inkscape but cannot figure out how to edit to make the file just the outside. I'm fairly tech savvy but for some reason, I'm at a major confusion point right now.... 

Screenshot 2018-08-31 10.08.19.png

also by there very nature distressed fonts will have a lot of nodes - more unstraight lines - more nodes - you can eliminate nodes and then you have straight lines :)

Thank you Dakotagrafx. I know that distressed fonts have more nodes... I need the distressed font it's for a customer order. I'm trying to REDUCE the nodes, I would think there is a way I could eliminate all the 'INSIDE' shapes and just have the cutter, cut outside/outlines. Like I said in earlier post, I 'filled' in with the paint brush and then 'unioned' but there were MORE nodes. NONE Of this is making sense. I'm on a major deadline and just hoping someone can help me with finding a way to reduce the nodes/online print outlines.... 

Thank you so much

there should only be one line around this - hence a set number of nodes - there should not be any "inside nodes" - check it in wire frame view 

Dakotagrafx - 'm using SCAL 4, this font is distressed and has 'shapes' inside - when I go to cut, it's cutting these. I need to reduce the nodes, eliminating these shapes should help. 

Here is what is cutting - this is a screen shot of preview.  There ARE inside notes, I'm not sure what wire frame view is...

IMG_5475.jpg

select those inside nodes and delete them. You can grab a couple at a time or 1 at a time.   I usually ungroup, before doing that. 

• Like 2

MZ Skeeter - I'm trying - do not know how.... I've tried a few methods and they are not working. I've heard you can hover over, and wait for minus to show...it's not working. I have a LOT of lettering, it's a big job... I don't mind doing the work if I can get a clear understanding of it - I'm having to have this done for the customers by noon - I've been trying to figure this out since 11PM last night. 

Most people on here don't use SCALP, it that is what your using. So your on your own with that.    Maybe try in INKscape as suggested.  

Slice & Dice - it's too much cutting, file is 39.000 nodes, I need to reduce the nodes so I don't have the wear and tear on my machine. I create 'stencils' so I need to JUST HAVE THAT DISTRESSED FONT OUTLINE (not the inside) - this should be so easy, I cannot figure out how to do this....

Hi MZ Skeeter - stated at beginning of post that was using 'SCAL 4 (not pro)" - I'd be glad to use inkscape too - I pulled the file in there as well. I just need to eliminate the inside piece of this font...it should be an easy thing, to ONLY cut the outlines. I'm just so overwhelmed and no it's an easy fix.I'd be glad to post on another thread for someone that can help with SCAL and how to do this.... Thank you all for helping

MZ Skeeter - I cannot figure out how to do that. I thought it could - I've been researching that for 11 hours now :(  that is ALL I need, just the outline of this font and it should greatly help with the reducing of nodes :)

as stated above in almost any program - ungroup - select the nodes you don't want and delete - if it has 39,000 nodes you may get down to 37,000 that way as the outline has most of the nodes

from Craftedge      I just did a Google search, it shows for any version of Craftedge, Scalp with youtube videos. on how to delete nodes. 

You need to use the drawing tool not the node tool. Click on the nodes one by one to delete them

5 minutes ago, Meucow said:

MZ Skeeter - I cannot figure out how to do that. I thought it could - I've been researching that for 11 hours now :(  that is ALL I need, just the outline of this font and it should greatly help with the reducing of nodes :)

with vector graphics anytime there is a change in direction there will be a node - so every one of those little bumps, points, that make the font distressed will have at least 3 nodes if not more - multiply that by the number of features that make it look distressed and you have the majority of the 39,000 you speak of - - nature of the beast - removing the nodes and you no longer have a distressed font
a smooth curve can be made with fewer nodes than the points of a distressed font -

• Like 1

Dakotagraphx - I tried this when I ungroup, and I've tried break apart - still cannot 'grab' the inside (shapes) to remove them!

MZ Skeeter - I tried this - for some reason not working for me. File can only be saves as an .scut....  

Too many buyers were having trouble with SCALP, which is why  UScutter only offers it for a Mac now, just to offer something.   We did hear that the upgraded version was better, but most people on here are PC users using Vinyl Master and other Windows programs.  and this is why no one can help.