Meucow

Mac user; needing to buy a vinyl cutter

I have started the process a few weeks ago of researching. I've posted on a few other boards but just realized that this one, the Mac one, might be best. I have a Mac, use a Mac, love my Mac.

I currently have a Silhouette Cameo which remarkably has served me so well - but need to upgrade! I use SCAL 4 -exclusively. ALL ALL ALL my designs are created from this. I need to 'stick with this' going forward. I have an art business - I cut and make stencils and then signs. Pretty much all I cut are letters, big and small, some simple some complex. 

MY CUTTER runs all day/night...I need to upgrade before it breaks, I'm running it ragged. Like most, money an issue. I NEED to get a vinyl cutter that works effortlessly and has the US cutter customer support for a MAC. I know there's solutions like running PC software or partitioning my Mac...I'm VERY anxious about doing this as I really don't want to mess anything up or have to deal with technical issues. Right now - I'm super busy, blessed and just need a machine that will work seamlessly with my Mac needs.

Please please please offer any thought/input/suggestions on the best route for me to go. 

Thank you kindly,

cindi

The most seamless will then be to get one that definitely runs on the Mac platform - that will be your Titan series and up. I'll be honest and tell you that I don't know jack about SCAL or SCALP, but I do know about Macs.

If you can afford the Titan 2, then go that route, if not than the Titan will work for you. If someone gave me the choice between a refurb'd Titan 2 vs. a NIB Titan, and the price difference was negligible, I would go with the Titan 2 due because of the servo motor. I see that USC currently has a 15" Titan 3 on refurb - If I had to choose between a 28" Titan 2 vs. a 15" refurb Titan 3, I'd take the Titan 2 because of the 28" width, and the fact that it comes with a stand. I don't do super long cuts where a media basket is absolutely essential for me, but I know that I couldn't manage my cutter without the stand! Definitely do your best to stick with a 28" (24") cutter if you can, but if the cost restrains you - get the best machine you can for what your budget is. Just make sure that when you order it from USC, that you designate the software you want/need for Mac.

If you ever decide that you want to Bootcamp or run Parallels or VMFusion, I am here to assist you. I've done all three on various versions of my MacPro setup.

* Just an added note - many people find really great deal on cutters off of Craigslist. Yes, sometimes it's a crapshoot, but it might be worth taking a look just the same.

E kala mai - my apologies if it appears that I'm creeping on your threads and posts, I just keep odd hours and am pretty much in a different time zone than the majority of the forum user here, so I tend to chime in when I can. Just remember, everything that I post .... it's just one girl's humble opinion.

• Like 2

Something else you might want to consider going forward. Once you finalize your design you might consider saving it off/exporting it as an EPS, SVG, or AI file, something that is "standard" among most vector programs so that in the future if you ever do want to or need to change software you will still have access to all your old designs.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Something else you might want to consider going forward. Once you finalize your design you might consider saving it off/exporting it as an EPS, SVG, or AI file, something that is "standard" among most vector programs so that in the future if you ever do want to or need to change software you will still have access to all your old designs.

Ditto! Many have come before and requested help with a particular graphic, but unfortunately end up posting in a proprietary software format, so then they have to wait until someone with that program can either open and assist, or open, convert and repost the file.

While many people here are willing to help, there are limits to the skill set, and/or willingness to do depending on the what's being requested. You'd get a much broader chance for assistance if it's in a file format that pretty much everyone is able to open in whatever software they are well versed in and try to help.

All my graphics are in .eps format. The only thing that's in proprietary file format is my layouts in SBE, but the components are still in .eps, and I require assistance, then I convert the layout to .eps and will post to request for help.

• Like 2

If you are running night and day I think I'd figure out how to get some funding help and get yourself a name brand cutter. I would suggest a CE5000 or CE6000 Graphtec (even though I do not own one myself) They are probably the most notable and reliable cutters at their price point. I run a Summa that is another thousand over the CE and had to go get a small loan to get it. I paid it off in a single season without that much effort. Even a Titan you might work into the ground if you are running as hard as you sound. 

• Like 2