ShaneGreen

Vinyl Master cutting registration marks twice

Ok, this was a really weird problem yesterday that I mentioned in another thread, but wanted to open this topic and see if anyone had an idea.  Vinyl Master Pro on Win10 and Laser Point II.

So I'm cutting a sign yesterday out of reflective and don't want to waste the expensive material so I fill the rest of the width with some clipart piece.  There will be 4 different colors of vinyl used for the two jobs so I use "Send To Cutfile".  In VM a "cutfile" is essentially a new image with a layer/page for each color of vinyl.  This allows you to run a bunch of different images as one job for each color.  I've used it a ton of times with no problem...until yesterday.

The first issue is that within a cutfile there is a command, "cut this page."  The command works fine, but doesn't give you access to the "Send To Cutter" screen,  so you can't do multiple passes. I've got to run two passes to insure the reflective cuts all the way.  Since "Cut This Page" won't do multiple passes you have to ignore that included feature and use the "Send To Cutter" at the top of the page.  I'm wondering if this is causing part of the problem.

The big issue happened when I started cutting.  Everything is running along fine, doing two passes, until I get  to the registration marks I'd added to the clipart. It cut each registration mark 8 times (or 4 times with 2 passes each, maybe)!  Cut anything 8 times and you're going to have trouble.  The registration marks lifted from the page and stuck to the blade holder to be drug around the image.  The blade finally cut through the backing paper in places.

- VM registration marks are a 5 piece image: 4 triangles and an octagon center.  But it cut them out as two opposing triangles and then the remaining two and the octagon were one piece.  Very weird.

- VM states that registration marks are created once, but in a special color, rather than once per color/layer. Then when sent to the cutter, that special color is cut by default.  That way you can create your own registration marks.

- It did this on all three colors that had the clipart.

- I verified, twice, that there were no copies of the mark hiding behind the other.

- The clipart cut fine by itself, only cutting the registration marks once.  I then created a new cutfile with just the clipart and it was fine.  I added registration marks to another image and set it to 2 passes and it worked fine.

So now I can't reproduce the problem, but it happened 3 times yesterday.  This blade isn't going to hold up long if it does this again.  Any ideas?

Create your own registration marks rather than let the computer do it. Must have some connection to them being added as part of a larger whole? Weird though. I usually do my own registration marks anyway. I can place them is a more specific spot. You just have to copy and place each successive color back on top of the original. I save the set of marks as a specific grouped object then paste in place and change the color. Can't recall if VM has paste in place but I bet it does. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Create your own registration marks rather than let the computer do it. Must have some connection to them being added as part of a larger whole? Weird though. I usually do my own registration marks anyway. I can place them is a more specific spot. You just have to copy and place each successive color back on top of the original. I save the set of marks as a specific grouped object then paste in place and change the color. Can't recall if VM has paste in place but I bet it does. 

same way I do it goose - 

You're system would probably work better.  Then I can make a registration mark that is more logical.  The automatic one is 5 small pieces and that makes it real easy to knock a piece out of alignment.  This white reflective doesn't stay stuck to the backing paper on anything smaller then about a nickle, you can easily slide small pieces all over the backing, so making a mark that is one piece would be helpful.

As long as I make it their default registration color it will be cut on every page/layer/color.  So that will save a few steps.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, ShaneGreen said:

As long as I make it their default registration color it will be cut on every page/layer/color.  So that will save a few steps.  Thanks!

It could possibly be the reading of these special colored ones that is causing the extra passes somehow. Just a thought. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.