Keeley

Found a roland on craigslist for $300

It's a pretty old cutter.  It is for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.   No USB on it.     Not crazy at all.. Over 15 years old.     Windows 3.1 was released in 2001,  Windows 95  was 1995.  So that lets you know close, to how old the vinyl cutter is. 

Here is the user manual for it. 

http://support.rolanddga.com/Docs/Documents/departments/Technical Services/Manuals and Guides/pnc1810UM.pdf

This claims it has drivers for newer Windows,  I have never used a Roland. 

https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-50496510-95001368-87959981-extract.html

Whoa, Keely, don't walk away quite yet from that unit!

Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / Vista / XP are all compatible to run that cutter.

Furthermore, keep in mind that the basic underlying mechanics of all plotters were developed by H-P back in the late 1950's - early 1960's. The cutters we all use today are essentially the same 'under the hood' as those.

Also, the seller of this Roland might accept less than $300. Maybe even $150. Ya neva know.

In any case, never buy any used cutter from someone without first having them demonstrate it works. And if it works, it works. The fact of the matter is probably even SignBlazer will be capable of getting this thing to cut.

5 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Whoa, Keely, don't walk away quite yet from that unit!

Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / Vista / XP are all compatible to run that cutter.

Furthermore, keep in mind that the basic underlying mechanics of all plotters were developed by H-P back in the late 1950's - early 1960's. The cutters we all use today are essentially the same 'under the hood' as those.

Also, the seller of this Roland might accept less than $300. Maybe even $150. Ya neva know.

In any case, never buy any used cutter from someone without first having them demonstrate it works. And if it works, it works. The fact of the matter is probably even SignBlazer will be capable of getting this thing to cut.

Good to know! Maybe I'll contact him after all 

I found the ad, it did say Offer, they want to get rid of it.  It would be a very sturdy well built vinyl cutter.  Just make sure it works.  If the DAD was the Original owner all these years, He probably took very good care of it.    My Graphtec is 10 years old.  I am the original owner, and I have taken care of it, and not abused it. 

I had one of this model back several years ago  - cut nice - it is a stepper motor cutter but it is a fine step compared to many of the cheaper cutters that have courser steps - heavy but worked well as I recall

OK, hopefully when you go to see it, maybe they'll even include the computer that it's connected to (via Serial port or maybe Parallel port, as the pictures show).

And the guy probably can throw in some HTV vinyl, too (in photo it seems he was doing t-shirts).

Just keep in mind this thing weighs a lot, you may need someone to help you move it!