Sign in to follow this  
Soren

Not Cutting Correctly

I have a design that just is not cutting correctly. As you can see, it's a Mopar skull that I made and am wanting to use it for a paint mask.
I'm trying to figure out how to describe it. It as if the design is being squished and cuts are overlapped. I have saved my .ai file as Illustrator 8. I am using a Vinyl Express R Series II cutter and the software is VE LXi Expert. I am not sure what the deal is or how to fix it, I don't think I've has this problem before. Luckily, it's for my own personal use and I'm not doing for someone.

Any advice is appreciated. The overall size is 18x14, and after three tries and wasting the material, I figured I better ask for some help.

Sorry Soren I had to delete those files. You can post pics of what your working on but no copyright protected working files are allowed. Post some pics of the issues, screenshots work great. 

I did take the opportunity to open the AI file. Other than being rough I didn't see the issues you speak of. Maybe some setting when you are going to cut that is changing the size in one direction but not the other. 

• Like 1

Had quite a few correspondences with Chrysler a few years ago - got a cease and desist from them over a tribal rams head and the word hemi - I countered it was not their rams head and the Hemispherical heads have been used by other manufacturers - it came down to them saying they owned and and they would prosecute and MIL that worked at the time for the MI AG office as a lawyer said I "might" win but it would cost me more in fees than would ever be worth it.  The won . . . I didn't want to take out a second mortgage to find out

It doesn't surprise me that companies try to squat all over common words that are used by many other people and companies.

There's a company in Chicago that sent someone in Alaska a cease and desist because they use the words "Aloha" and "Poke" in the name of their business. So dumb, the State of Hawaii should sue the Chicago company for using two Hawaiian words that belong to everyone. Pretty soon no one in Hawaii will be allowed to even say those two words without having to pay royalties to the yahoos. <_<

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure what was wrong with it. So I retraced it in Illustrator, made sure it was the size I wanted to begin with (I think maybe it was too small for the cutting program to follow the vectors correctly, maybe) then re-saved it and re-imported it into the cutter software.
It's was a one time deal for me personally, so I'm not worried about FCA coming after me on this. Someday, though, I might try to see what it takes to get licensing from Mopar.
Here is how it turned out (on the trunk of my '63 Dart). I painted it a little heavier than I originally was thinking. My first thought was to fog it like it had been there for years, then the fog got heavier as I thought it might not be heavy enough, then it was like oh, well, may as well fill it all in dark.

283051978_DartTrunkSkull.thumb.jpg.0a0770fc4d43da2c22c946cbdfc69420.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good. My best friend from HS had and still has a 71' RT Challenger. He's had it in a shop on blocks since around 1988 and plans to someday work it over. Originally found a 68 charger with a 426 Hemi to drop in but I think he's now torn whether that will actually de-value it. The motor is not the stock one and the seats were swapped into the previous owners Cuda but they are available along with the factory build sheets. I was always the 4x4 guy and took the rest of my buddies hunting and wheeling and they all had hot rods so they hauled me along on cruise night or to the drags. 

• Like 2