Meucow

DESPERATELY SEEKING help with cutter to buy

Wow, I have to apologize for suggesting you look at the SC2...

Wonder why they did that?

In any event, hope you find what you need Meucow.

• Like 2

I really need a US cutter sales person to contact me. I tried most of Friday but never got a person, was on perma-hold. It's all super confusing. I found this...and it says Windows compatible BUT as an software option it has SCAL for Mac?See attached pic. Hello - super confused...

Screenshot 2018-08-26 13.05.49.png

• Confused 1

Scalp is also for a PC,  Many people started with hobby Scalp and want to continue with it.  As it has many more design features to it that Vinyl Master does not have.   All value cutters were sent SCALP at one time, but too many complaints about SCALP,  so they are sent Vinyl Master now.  Which is a much better product. (cutting software)   If you look at the specs on that cutter, it says  OS Compatibility... WINDOWS...  3rd line up from the bottom. 

MZ Skeeter - I guess what I'm asking, is this is conflicting to me. I'm trying to discern if the SC2 is an option for me. It says windows OS but then offers SCAL for Mac on this unit. I might not have had enough coffee today but it's not computing....

Nothing more I can add.  UScutter has their specs written. If there is a problem, on a Mac, they will go by the specs that are written on their ads. 

Their Ebay ads say the same thing.  

This offer is NOT for Mac (Apple) Computers.

SC2 Series Vinyl Cutter by USCutter for Windows Only

Introducing the new SC2, a step up from our previous SC value vinyl cutter! Not only is it faster and quieter, it has more memory and improved electronics to take on bigger cut jobs. This is still the best price you’re going to find for a reliable cutter with laser-registration contour cutting for print&cut stickers and labels! Comes with a 1 year warranty.

Included Software: VinylMaster Cut for PC ONLY 

Note on Software

Your software choice among the options provided above will determine the software you will receive with your cutter as follows:

1. PC User (Windows) will get VinylMaster Cut (does not work with Mac). USCutter supports use of Contour cutting
  • Like 1

ok - I'll contact US cutter. Stay tuned... thank you all, again for your help thus far :)

• Like 1

I would like USC to send me a SC2, and I will absolutely test whether or not it can or cannot work with a Mac! :blink:

My "day job" is an I.T. Tech (PC, Mac, Hardware, Software, Networks, Web Design, Databases, etc.). There have been lots of hardware and peripherals that have been "PC Only" that I've managed to get working on a Mac platform (I pride myself in making all kinds of PC stuff work on Mac). Bring it on USC, I'm up for the challenge! :D

But serious Cyndi - If the SC2 is the best option for you - price and hardware wise, consider Bootcamp (which is free) or Parallel (or VM Fusion) and running it with a PC based software. I have two cutters and (original LaserPoint) and started that with my Windows XP laptop running Sign Blazer Elements (which was and still is free), and the second cutter I recently got was a Graphtec, which is both PC and Mac friendly. Truth be told, I still use my Parallels on my Mac to run Windows7 on it, and cut using Sign Blazer Elements. SBE is what I learned on, and it's what I'm most proficient at (until I can elevate my skills on AI).

Depending on where  you're planning on keeping the cutter, you might want to consider buying a p.o.s. Windows laptop, then you can put the cutter anywhere that has a power outlet and it doesn't have to be in close proximity to your Mac.

You're definitely taking the right steps ... asking before buying! You do have options.

Thank you huumana.  I'm sure since your an IT guy you know I'd be fine but the thought of running a program on my Mac to 'rig' it to work...ugh. Again, I'm sure it would be fine. I'm not technical enough to 'buy' a cutter that only works with PC and run it on my Mac and try to figure out Bootcamp (or others) and how it all works with SCAL (Mac) which I rely on daily. It all gives me a headache thinking about it :(

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Meucow said:

Thank you huumana.  I'm sure since your an IT guy you know I'd be fine but the thought of running a program on my Mac to 'rig' it to work...ugh. Again, I'm sure it would be fine. I'm not technical enough to 'buy' a cutter that only works with PC and run it on my Mac and try to figure out Bootcamp (or others) and how it all works with SCAL (Mac) which I rely on daily. It all gives me a headache thinking about it :(

I totally understand. Transitions from one platform to another, or just trying to be well versed on both can be challenging. Whatever your decision and purchase is, we will all be here to assist you.

Looks like the least expensive way to go will be to look for a refurb'd Titan. I'm usually pretty good with a refurb'd, as long as there is a warranty and the company stands by it.

• Like 1

Regarding your use of contact paper vs vinyl.

I've not dealt with contact paper much, but I would imagine it will wear out a blade faster than vinyl. You can get a 24"x10 yard roll of vinyl for about $30 including shipping. That works out to about $0.003 per square inch. Not sure how large of rolls you're getting from walmart but a quick check on their web page and it looks like most of them come out to a little more than $0.003 per square inch. So other than convince of running down to the store vs ordering online you're not really saving anything. And if you want to stick with local vs web, you might look around town for a sign shop and see if they'll sell you vinyl.