Meucow

DESPERATELY SEEKING help with cutter to buy

Hello. I'm in the need to upgrade my current machine.  I have a Silhouette Cameo and use a Mac. The current operating system (OS) of my Mac is high sierra.  I also use (ONLY) Sure Cuts a lot (SCAL). All of my designs are created with this. I have a small business and need to upgrade to the next level. I don't have a ton of money to use so want to upgrade, smartly, to the next step. I only cut using contact paper. Right now the Silhouette has a 12" limitation....the contact paper I use is 16" wide - so need to go about 15-15 1/2" wide. I have been researching and am COMPLETELY overwhelmed. I have red that MANY vinyl cutters are NOT compatible with Mac. Those that are, are NOT operating well/normal with the High Sierra OS. Ugh. 

Can someone PLEASE help me.  Need something considerably better, faster more efficient than my Silhouette Cameo...that is compatible with Mac, specifically high sierra OS AND Sure Cuts A lot.

I really really need to stay in a budget of $400-600....

Please please provide any/all info. I've been on hold with US cutter most of the day - on hold, meaning I was never able to get a person. 

Thank you so much! Greatly appreciate any help here folks

Cindi

There isn't a cutter here in that price range, that will work with a Mac.  The bottom 3 cutters are not Mac compatible.   Your going to have to jump up,  and raise your budget.   You will need at least a 24" wide cutter for what you are wanting to cut.   The only way you could run one of the bottom 3 cutters is using on a Windows OS,  which can also be done on a Mac.  Parallels  etc.   Best to stay away from the MH cutters.

I have never used one with a mac but the table titan is a 15" that fits your budget and is a big step up from the other cutters below it - it says it is mac compatible and in the options when purchasing there is an option to select mac software.  I also have no experience with the mac os you are referring to  - - - tried macs twice and just to old and set in my pc ways I guess - maybe someone will jump in that has a mac and titan - most of the ones I know of with macs are using graphtec and summa machines about triple your budget - still hoping someone will jump in

Can I chime in here?

First of all, welcome. Hopefully you'll come back and add some of your insights once you get a USCUTTER machine operating.

You say -- "I only cut using contact paper."  Are you saying that cutting industry-standard vinyl (calendared or cast) is not your intention?

Let's get that answer, before we go forward too far.

Next --  The SCAL version you have is not the OEM version for USCUTTER machines, so it won't have the right drivers.

More bad news, Cindi --   SCALPro4 (the latest release offered) uses Macintosh OSX 10.6-10.11 and your HighSierraOS is 10.13

That being said, you can talk to CraftEdge (maker of the SCALpro4) and see whether their tech support can comment on compatibility with HighSierra.

Awaiting your feedback on this post -------

• Like 1

Hello all - 

Slide & Dice. Money isn't great so trying to be MOST economical. I use a roll of contact paper (bought from Walmart) for all my needs and it's perfect. Cuts perfect, price is perfect - not in a situation to buy 'vinyl' online. I'm just creating 'stencils' for my business so low end but good quality is what I need (for the material - not the machine). Good point regarding SCAL (OEM)...and high sierra. Great post - ..thank you for taking time to comment. 

Dakotagrax - is that Titan 15 much much more different in the current, Silhouette Cameo. I'm just trying to discern if it's just a much better, faster, more reliable machine. IF it is Mac compatible then that would be a great match. I just don't want to make a switch and have it not be a powerhorse I'm looking for...thank you for taking time to comment. 

Mark S - yes, looks like amazing cutters but unless I win the lottery or find someone to lend me some cashola - beyond out of our price range. 

MZ Skeeter - thank you for your comment. 

Yes, the Titan  is much, much better,  It is a REAL vinyl cutter, not some hobby craft cutter.  There are a couple refurbished cutters for sale.    The 28" Titan  with the stand is   $455 and comes with the Sure Cuts A Lot for the cutter.  

https://www.uscutter.com/Refurbished-28-inch-TITAN-Vinyl-Cutter

There is also a 15" refurbished table top  $300.

https://www.uscutter.com/Refurbished-USCutter-Table-TITAN

• Like 1

Cindi, the simple answer to your question is  --  No, the SCALPro4 software that is supplied with the Titan is apparently INCOMPATIBLE with High Sierra.

Please talk to craftedge as I mentioned, they might provide more information about their software, but the published specs on the USCutter website indicate that ScalPro4 works only with MacOS 10.11 at most. If the company that makes the software says to you otherwise, then please come back here and post that.

EDIT:   Also, skeeter already noted that since your contact paper is 16" wide, the 15" tabletop machine will be inadequate.  And for the record, you will likely find that using standard calendared vinyl ends up being cheaper in the long run than buying contact paper at WalMart --- Just calculate per sq. ft. the costs of your current material, and compare it to sq.ft. cost of roll vinyl.

• Like 1

Let me jump into the fray here.

I am not sure what you mean by "only cutting with contact paper", but if you are cutting vinyl like the rest of us...  look into an SC2 cutter with Sure CutsALot Pro.

I have an older SC model, using SCALP 3 (never upgraded).  My computer is a Mac using OS High Sierra 10.13.6; I have never had an issue.

I suspect that when Mac updates their OS, that there is a lag time before all the software companies like SCALP update their websites and such.

• Like 2

Woo hoo - first, I'm so thrilled you all are taking time to help. It's VERY appreciated.

MZ Skeeter - ok, great. I need a 'non-crafting' but smaller machine so Titan sounds great. 

Slice & Dice - good info about the SCAL and High Sierra - I'm using SCAL 4 now (not Pro) but good info... It's just that ALL my files (over 8 years) are with SCAL so I have to ensure I get that somehow and use that with a new cutter. 

Material: So, yes, I use the contact paper I buy at Walmart. I like the option to be able to just spend $5.00/roll and not have to buy online (money is tight so I try to keep 'business funds' local and not online...But again, great point to just check. From my perspective (and I might be wrong) if I can just utilize the contact brand shelf liner (that's what I'm actually using) since I'm just creating a 'stencil' and it's economical then great.  To be able to just use this, since I'm literally just cutting a stencil, painting and then throwing away, I'm not sure if vinyl would be best, but good idea to do a cost analysis. It is 16" wide but my Silhouette can only accommodate 12" so I cut it down.... that should be a good option for the 15" Titan right? If I just cut it to accommodate the 15"... I don't use a 'mat' for the Silhouette Cameo. There are two 'settings' one to use cutting mat and one for 'media' - since the shelf liner is 2-ply. I just have my cutter do a 'kiss cut' so it's just cutting the top part of the contact paper/shelf liner, peel and only use this top part... does that make sense? Do you feel that this is possible with the Titan? 

Cal - thank you. I'll look into that. 

What is the best way to get in touch with US cutter? I tried most of yesterday and was on hold. This forum already has been SUCH A HUGE HELP...and I'd like to have a sales person I can talk to, as well, to go through all these suggestions/options. I'm so thrilled to learn that I might be able to afford a decent cutter.

Cindi

Buy the best cutter you can afford <- That is key right there! The better the cutter, the cleaner the cuts, the bigger the memory.

As far as the Mac thing - you can always run Parallels, VMFusion, or bootcamp your Mac, and run it with Sign Blazer Elements (which is totally free).

There are a few of us Mac, and Mac/PC users here and well assist in whatever way possible.

Even though you only seem to be stencil masking right now, trust me, you will start to get requests to decals at some point, or vinyl signage, or just want to make some fun personal stuff.

Good luck, and make sure you keep us posted!

• Like 1

Thank you haumana - I'm so thrilled that there are folks here assisting. I'm a tad overwhelmed. This Silhouette Cameo has really really served me well. No real technical issues and just a seamless. I'm super excited to make this switch...now to just find a 'bag of money' lying around :)  Cindi 

I think you are missing a big part of the market somewhere if you are ONLY doing stencils. Just my $0.02. Maybe consider revamping your business model along with the cutter upgrade. If you end up with a capable cutter you can find all sorts of other options that can turn into revenue streams. Cheap vinyl like the USCutter Greenstar brand makes great stencil material for painting or sandblasting. Comes back off pretty easy too. The 15" wide 10yd roll (30 feet) is under $15. Throw a roll in with your cutter and you'll get it shipped in the same load too. 

Your cutter will come with a basic cutting program which for the mac will be the current SCALP offering. I would be surprised if you have issues running it on an older system. Also don't think that the other cutters other than probably the HM would have an issue running on the mac either. If so do the bootcamp option or something. Worst case there are other cutting programs out there. I would highly suggest figuring out how to covert your SCALP native files to something more universally accepted before something goes south. (EPS, SVG AI) something that you could salvage things if your program or computer goes down. 

heck the paint stencil itself is cheap by the roll but quite often I use any old roll of slow moving cheaper vinyl

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cal said:

I have an older SC model, using SCALP 3 (never upgraded).  My computer is a Mac using OS High Sierra 10.13.6; I have never had an issue.

I suspect that when Mac updates their OS, that there is a lag time before all the software companies like SCALP update their websites and such.

This.

Cal, you have answered the question precisely.  I had suspected the spec. on the USCutter site was incorrect, and you confirmed it, without her having to even get in touch with CraftEdge.  Nice going!

a]  SC2   24" is the one to buy, Cindi.  There's a refurb unit available for $350.   --- no brainer for you to get it.

b] The cutter will run on mac with ScalPro4 (specify when ordering, so they don't send you VinylMaster)

I think you should clearly notify USCutter when you order (write a note somewhere in the shipping info.) about substituting the SCAL for VM.  Maybe follow up with an Email referencing your order # after check-out.

c]  Add to your Shopping Cart their Chocolate Brown for $10.49  Special Clearance Sale !! 15" x 30 feet.  Yep, 30-feet  !!!

https://www.uscutter.com/GreenStar-Clearance-Sale-on-Various-Products

And some Transfer tape (Application Tape sometimes called) https://www.uscutter.com/GreenStar-Layflat-Classic-Transfer-Tape-Medium-Tack-Assorted-Widths-Sample-Rolls That's another $28. but it's a 24" x 100 foot roll, will last you a loooooooong time !!

There ya go, Under budget, on time, ready to rock & roll.

Another happy camper.

Thank you all!  

Slice & Dice - refurbished....thoughts? Makes me nervous.  I see a 28" refurbished SC2 - but not a 24"....just trying to learn how to maneuver around the site to find the best deals. 

Again, appreciate all your professionalism and attention to this post...so very helpful.

What they market as a 28" plotter actually will only cut 24" wide so that is the right one

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

What they market as a 28" plotter actually will only cut 24" wide so that is the right one

I really wish they didn't do that... it's deceptive. if it'll only cut 24" then that's what they ought to list it as.

• Like 1

I haven't had my SC2 very long, like about 2 months, but I'm very happy with it so far.  Of course I've never used anything better (or worse) so I can't give any comparisons. But it seems to be in your price range and should meet your criteria.

Can I ask another question - and again thank you. For a vinyl cutter that is like that - 28", does it have the capability for me to load 16" material. Like on the Silhouette Cameo, I can move the 'holders' to adjust my material width...can I adjust on the SC2 to accommodate material that is 16" long (the contact brand, shelf liner) which is what I'm using currently?

Refurbished -  I see the machines DO come with 1 year warranty - but I get nervous with the thought of refurbished given how much this means to my business. I get it- it's a cost savings for sure. I've never dealt with US cutter or it's machines so I'm just being overly cautious.... appreciate any thoughts.

Yes,  You can load clear down to scraps onto a cutting mat.  It kinda looks like the pinch rollers are 6 inches apart.  I don't own it, but was looking at their video. 

• Like 1

Cindi, yes, the 28" sc2 refurb. is the way to go.  Yes, it handles anything smaller than the 24" size (as low as 2-1/2" since that's the minimum positions the pinch rollers can achieve ---  I just measured that on mine to verify).

From your perspective, it's basically like buying a new one. However, be aware that online it's only listed as coming with VinylMaster software, so when ordering you MUST indicate clearly to USCutter that you want a substitute of SCALPro4.  If it was me, I would place the order for that cutter over the phone. Phone: (425) 902-1305  and let them know you also want the roll of chocolate vinyl & the app tape (and maybe get a nice knife )

Don't over-think this.

• Like 2

MZ SKEETER (and Slice & Dice) thank you again for your due diligence here. Slice & Dice  -THIS is why I AM over thinking. It's a big decision. I cannot make a mistake here and get a machine that does not work for my needs (i.e. Mac). And yes, once I am ready to pull the trigger, will ask US cutter if I can replace with SCAL (for Mac) but in the mean time, trying to find the best deal on a cutter compatible for Mac....

Thank you both

This is why we started you back at the Titan, It is for both PC and a Mac.   UScutter puts their cutter specs out there for a reason.  NOT to make the wrong decision.   A Titan is for both.  Nothing more that I could add. 

OS Compatibility Windows, Mac OSX
  • Like 1