Scratchthejeepguy

651 not sticking to stainless steel?

I'm having problems attaching my 651 to polished stainless steel.  This vinyl is less than 3 months old, bought new, and I'm trying to stick it to those 4" round Stainless steel camping cups sold at Walmart.  The cups were bought new and I sprayed them with isopropyl alcohol first, wiped it clean and dry with a coffee filter, then let it air dry for about a minute.  Then I'm using a plastic squeegee and going over it several times in all directions very hard.

I'm pulling the transfer tape completely back on itself, super slowly, and I have to really help the vinyl to stick, each letter.  I've used this same exact roll of orange vinyl on glass and Plexiglas before and it sticks fine.  The letters are about 1" tall.

Any tips?

39714684_10216324898730350_6101932768403390464_n.jpg

Same thing.  I tried black and it doesn't want to stick to the SS very well.  I'm using TransferRite Ultra Clear 1310G Medium tack, and it wants to stick to that instead.  Should I be using a low tack?  What do most of you use?

How old is your transfer tape? When I have difficulties with getting vinyl to release from the transfer tape, it usually means I need new tape because its gotten too gummy.

• Like 1

try a paper tape and after you apply spray the tape with water, wait a minute and remove the tape

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

try a paper tape and after you apply spray the tape with water, wait a minute and remove the tape

Never heard of this one Dakota, will file away for future reference!

• Like 1