Sign in to follow this  
clg003

Does Adobe Illustrator use lessen the need for upgraded VinylMaster Software?

Looking at purchasing a cutter and have  a subscription to Abobe. So I guess I am not even a newbie but someone trying to get an idea of the overall purchase costs.

I am seeing many people post that they wouldn't use anything but VM Pro. That almost adds 40% to the overall cost. Not to mention the ongoing cost of Adobe. I was thinking that I could do most of my work in Adobe and then simply import the Adobe files into VM and cut. Am I way off base there? Thinking that the Upgraded versions of VM are not required when AI is used?  Can I get away with the Vinylmaster Cut version or will I be severely limited? 

Thanks,

CLG

Not off base at all.  I cut with bare bones Flexistarter and a Graphtec.    Many people still use the FREE  Signblazer cutting and design software, But it has not been updated in years..  Do yourself a big favor and stay away from the MH cutter.  Anything above is better.  My 2c 

many people design in illy and export to a file that can then be imported into programs like VM cut - people go with the pro version so they can have a more powerful design and cut program in one

Yeah, you'll be fine doing your art in Illustrator and then just exporting as .eps and bringing that file into VM.

(Just as many people design in Inkscape ---  an open source vector editor that approximates AI)

BTW, the SC2 is a very nice piece of equipment, and it's worth spending the few bucks additional for a catch-basket (media basket).

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Not off base at all.  I cut with bare bones Flexistarter and a Graphtec.    Many people still use the FREE  Signblazer cutting and design software, But it has not been updated in years..  Do yourself a big favor and stay away from the MH cutter.  Anything above is better.  My 2c 

I am eyeing the laserpoint3. 

I am an Illustrator guy all the way. I use a mac and the best mac option I have found is SignCut Pro1. (it actually works on mac or pc from the same dongle which is handy) There is a newer version Pro 2 out as well. I run the original because I just need a cutter interface and Pro 1 is perfect for that. I think all of the offered cutting utilities that come with the cutters will cut your designs in one form or another. I use .ai version 8 which is SignCut's favorite and works the best for me. You may want to do a little experimenting on which version and what file format will have the smoothest workflow with whatever cutting program you end up with. Should be either .ai, .eps or .svg for most of the programs out there. I do a lot of HTV vinyl and it's all mirrored so when I save to the legacy format I mirror those ahead of time so I don't forget to when it's time to cut.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this