Ironbar

F&M Expressions Question

Does anyone know what process they actually use?  Is it toner?  Ink on transfer?  I like their transfers.  Is it possible to duplicate this process?

I know very little about the different process.  Please enlighten me.

Thank you.

I think most are plastisol.  You basically screen print a PVC based ink onto the transfer paper.  Because it is a screen printing process, they charge a setup fee as they have to make the screen and have minimums.  It's not economical to produce screen printed stuff in small volumes, most of the time.  You can do this properly, (mass production,) with proper screen printing gear.  You can do this DIY with some basics, but probably can't get high production.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+plastisol+transfers

The other thing to consider is having a tried and true process that hold up. I was a bit skeptical at first but I use them often and they have a good lifespan. If you were going to do your own then you would screen right onto the shirt rather than mess with a transfer sheet.  I haven't seen their production facility but it's obvious that they have a serious industrial sized program and can crank out large orders in no time. 

I have used them many times in the past and I really like the results.  I've had a few quality issues with them but they always corrected it quickly.  I really like the results, so much so that it prompted my question.  I've considered bringing the work in house so I can maximize my profits however, there does not seem to be a good solution to doing the work in house with the same results.

Screen printing is out for me - we just do not have space available at this time

Toner Transfers - I considered a new IColor machine but I do not like how the transfers have a very plastic feel, hard to get to a matte finish, have to be pressed twice for good results, and crack over a short period of time.

Vinyl Printing - We do a lot of vinyl single color shirts and they are ok.  In most cases people are very happy with them.  I've considered a color print/cut machine (our next purchase anyway) but the results are not the same feel.  Plus the weeding and very hard to get a distressed look on graphics without printing a background that eventually does not match the shirt.

DTG is just to expensive for us right now and it requires to much maintenance.

So, I think we are just going to stick with using F&M for now until we can setup a screen printing area.  Anything I am missing?  I'm differently open to any ideas.

Thank you both for the information.  I looked through the Plastisol videos today and it answered all of my questions about their process.

I don't have my own screen printing machine but I have a friend who bought it for his commercial purposes. As he said, unfortunately, it's not profitable to keep a small unit at home.

I'd recommend watching these videos:

Edited by Wildgoose
Some content was removed by the moderator