Dawst

in need of finding a transfer tape for a vinyl.

hello! i am having trouble trying to find a transfer tape that can easily pick up a specialty vinyl that i use (glitter/oil slick vinyl about 2.7-3mil) as well as apply to most surfaces.
i have two types of clear transfer tapes that i like (specifically the r tape brand) but both have their pros and cons.

i like the r tape at65 high tack because it still shows off the colors nicely and can easily see the glitter and shine and easily applicable to most smooth surfaces. only problem is that it can be quite a struggle to pick up the vinyl from the transfer tape. (i have tried transfer rite ultra high tack 592u although ive had similar problems with the at65)

the r tape at75 embossed high tack doesnt look as good as the at65 but it can easily pick up the vinyl. however, unless its a glass surface, the transfer tape is too strong to let go of the vinyl.

is there any transfer tape that you guys have no problem with for specialty vinyls like glitter/oil slick/chrome (about 2.7-3mil thick). thank you very much.

Maybe it is possible, that you are doing it wrong.  App tape should not be picking up the vinyl. You should be squeegeeing the top of the transfer tape really good, after applying the transfer tape, then turning it over, transfer tape down and peeling the backing gently away from the decal. It makes a huge difference. 

Most use paper tape. I use medium tack paper tape. 

If you keep trying to pick up the vinyl with the app tape, you can actually pick up the wax paper backing also. Then you will have paper stuck to your decal. 

sorry. i should have phrased things better haha. i normally do peel off the backing of the vinyl as its much easier but for this particular vinyl, it seems not sometimes stick and sometimes dont. regular oracal vinyls seems to be effortless while these glitter vinyls do take some effort to get everything on the transfer tape. i didnt think the extra .2-.5 mil would make a significant differance as the 2.5 mil vinyl seems to be perfect for the vinyl.

It can also be that your cutting too deep, and driving the vinyl down into the wax paper backing.   Back off the force a little and see if it goes any better.  High tack paper tape.  Oils from your hands might not allow the tape to stick good to the vinyl also. 

I pretty much only use paper tape and unless it's a really large simple graphic I go as high tack as I can find. R-tape 4076 is my fav. 

• Like 1