Hi , I have a refine MH721,

The female plug socket housing cracked , and I was meaning to replace it.

Today I moved machine and realised that I do not know how to wire it up, as wires have become dislodged.

I am unfamiliar with the colour coding of the wires.

I have a  a yellow wire that comes via the fuse and on/off switch.

There is a green wire.

There is a green / yellow wire.

If I had to GUESS I would go with-

green - earth,

yellow - active

yellow / green - negative

p.s. I don't know if its relevant , but im in Australia, mains electricity 240 volt

cheers

Ben 

You're guesses would be what I would assume as well. However looking up the Australian color coding the Green/Yellow would "normally" be the earth wire but who knows what color scheme the MH uses.

Can you trace where the wires are connecting to further in the machine? The earth ground should be easy to spot, it usually just runs to a random looking screw connected to bare metal.

If you have a meter, the voltage between earth and neutral should be 0 or very close to it.

If no one responds with better info, I'll take a look at my cutter tonight when I get home.

• Like 1

Green/Yellow stripe is ground wire. (per IEC color-code standard)

• Like 1

thanks so much for your replies !!

is it possible to make any assumptions on wire that has fuse and switch along its circuit? (yellow wire in pic)

Darcshadow - I have a multimeter but limited in understanding how to use it...What function do I use to test the voltage between earth and neutral ?, Im hoping to test without need to have any AC voltage involved !!!

cheers

Ben

refine mh721.jpg

After thinking about my statement in doing the measurements I realized that would be of no use in this situation.

Typically the wire running to the switch and fuse should be the hot wire. I found a chart with various wire colors and it does look like Yellow is pretty common for a hot line. Green and Green/Yellow are earth ground, not seeing either color referenced as a Neutral.

Now electrically, both neutral and earth are tied together back where it comes into the house, so for functionality, you should be ok with either wire in either location. HOWEVER, from a safety standpoint, you really need to have the correct wires connected.

You take your meter and set it to measure resistance, the omega symbol, and measure from the end of the green/yellow wire to bare metal on the cutter and measure from the green wire to bare metal, once should be nearly zero, the other will be a bit higher. The one that is nearly zero would be your earth wire.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay. I opened my cutter and I can confirm the yellow is your Hot wire. In mine, the Yellow/Green is earth ground, so I would assume the green in yours is your neutral. In mine, it is black.

• Like 1

hi Darcshadow, thanks a million for confirming this!!!!!!!!!!.

I will be much more comfortable wiring it up with this knowledge , cheers Ben