Dee Wilson

Print verus cutting

I'm trying to use my MH 871 MK2 to print versus cut.  I put the pen tool  in and I can get it to print if I select 'cut' with the pen tool in, but it outlines everything as it thinks it is cutting.  If I select print and send it to my US Cutter, it doesn't do anything.  What am I doing wrong?  I don't care if I have to select cut to get it to do it as long as it doesn't outline my text.  Please help!!!

I have included a picture of what I am trying to print (it is roughly 2 feet by 4 feet), I would just like solid lines for the states as well as the text.

IMG_1526.jpg

Your MH 871 cutter is a vinyl cutter/plotter.  Designs are done in a vector format, OUTLINES.  Print, is sending the design from your software to an actual wide format printer that uses ink.   Format would be jpeg, pixals.  Vinyl cutters/plotters are not printers. 

• Like 1

Some programs do have a fill option that people have used with a marker. It basically adds a bunch of lines to areas that are "solid". Works ok for markers with a wide enough tip but would not work with a pen very well.

I don't recall the name of the software or the name of the feature. Maybe someone who remembers it, or has done it will reply here.

Looks like Flexi and the fill option is what you want. There may be other options, this was the first one I found.

Think of it this way ---  the machine is going to follow PATHS (composed of nodes/points) with the blade or pen.

If you bought this machine to print, then you made a mistake.

simple explanation is ,as others have said ,  this is a plotter and not a printer. knowing the difference is key

Thank for all the info.  I bought it as a cutter so that is it's primary purpose, I was trying the print for a special project.  I was also told to try a thinner font.  I'm going to see if I can find a marker that is a little bit thicker but will still fit in there.  That might help as well.

I will try the Flexi and fill option too!

• Like 1

Hey Dee...

No, a cutter is not a printer; however, a smart polygon layout will give you a pattern similar to what you want.
You need to find a wire representation of the US.  Convert it to monochrome with any paint program.  I convert it into .bmp.

Then import that .bmp into vinylmaster.  Do edge detection on the .bmp.  You will have to a serious amount of experimentation to get the proper print effect.  Start with a very simple shape, say Arizona (some curves and straight vectors).  If it is just not working out after about 30 minutes, find another simple shape.

Once you found a print that works, move up to more complicated picts.  When I am using the ink cartridge attachment, I use the fattest ballpoint, which has been 1.7.

Attached is a svg of UC Davis street map.  Correct, a cutter is not a printer; however, this works enough for my purposes.

Dave  

Who you talking to, Willis?

MissDee was here for 1 day, randomly, in 2018, and you show up years later with some mediocre advice, and that blind link to a .vDoc attachment you expect people to download and open? .vDoc can be created to transmit malware and virus! Easily. No thanks, Dave.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.