Sign in to follow this  
smj

OSX Support for RedSail Cutters via Easy Cut Studio?

Recently I stumbled into a project where I could use a cutter, and I've been going in circles trying to find something I could drive from Illustrator CS5.1 on my Mac Pro. Over the past two weeks I've spent many hours searching forums like this, and then looking for cheap, used Roland or Graphtec units... :rolleyes:  Even if I could find my old Roland SX-12, I'd like to get something larger.

However, today I noticed this page where the folks behind Easy Cut Studio claim they've got a solution to use RedSail cutters directly from OSX. I don't know too much about ECS, but the RedSail cutters are rebadged and reasonably cheaply by SignWarehouse.

Anybody seen any proof behind this claim about ECS and RedSail cutters?

I do not understand the part about "drive from AI CS5.1".  From the ECS site you linked to it looks like you plan to design in AI, import the design to ECS and then cut.

You can do this with some of the machines sold by USCutter like the SC2 using the Sure Cuts A Lot program with a Mac.

Welcome aboard by the way,

Their claim seems straightforward, and not sure why you are doubting it.

Some people who have a Mac, can also use Bootcamp, or Parrallels and still run a Windows program on the Mac.  But we see many people come on the forum with problems about the Redsail. The  tech support at Signwarehouse according to it's buyers is not very good. 

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry for for the way I jumbled things up. I did mention this question has been making me crazy. ;)

What I said was confusing - I would prefer to cut directly from Illustrator on the Mac, but unless I get a higher-end cutter that doesn't seem likely to happen. And yes, there's the option of running Windows in a virtual machine and switching programs -- which is only a difference in degree from switching between Mac apps to cut.

I had been looking at the SC2, but US Cutters' own buying guide says the SC series is "PC Only" and "Not compatible with the MAC OS." I could find references to the original SC working with the Mac, but not the SC2 - maybe I just missed it... (Edit: For example, missed this one right in the forum listing.) And I saw support for the SC listed in the description for SCALP, but given US Cutter's description you would want to see the SC2 listed explicitly there or somewhere. Especially since it also lists the MH series, where the MK2 units will work on the PC but not the Mac...

So the point of this, aside from venting the built-up frustration of the search, was just to see if anybody had actually seen Easy Cut Studio on OSX driving a RedSail cutter. Vendor claims are nice, but it's better to hear that it's actually working for somebody in the real world.

If you want to cut directly out of AI on a mac go with SignCut Pro 1, That's what I use. If your cutter is not on their list I can guarantee they will add it or figure out which driver is compatible. They have actual live tech support and will even remote access your computer if you need them to in order to get you running. SignCut Pro 1 is just a cutting utility that can't do much else on it's own. It acts as an interface with your cutter and has a plug-in for Illustrator. I don't use it straight from my mac most of the time (but I can) because I want to be working while my cutter is cutting and I keep the cutter in a separate part of my workspace. SignCut is compatible with both mac and PC and if you like it and buy a lifetime dongle you can load the program on any computer and then just plug the dongle in and cut from whichever you choose. If you don't go the dongle route then you can still swap computers but you have to change it over and they only allow 5 computer hops then you have to call in and talk to them. The dongles are for sale at a reasonable rate on the USCutter website. I paid about $400 for mine when I bought it and they are a lot less now. You have to use a design program like AI or similar in order to have a good experience with SignCut because Pro 1 does do design. There is a new version Pro 2 that is out and I have no idea what it does. I am happy with Pro 1 and my workflow is efficient. 

• Like 2

Also if you are considering a Redsail cutter I am pretty sure they are just a rebranded Saga and should be the same thing as the Titan series that USCutter sells. If you go either of those I would suggest the servo motor variant. 

14 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Also if you are considering a Redsail cutter I am pretty sure they are just a rebranded Saga and should be the same thing as the Titan series that USCutter sells. If you go either of those I would suggest the servo motor variant. 

actually the Saga cutters are quite a bit better than redsail - redsail is like the refine MH cutters for comparison 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

If you want to cut directly out of AI on a mac go with SignCut Pro 1, That's what I use. ... It acts as an interface with your cutter and has a plug-in for Illustrator.

Thanks for the tip Wildgoose - SCP1 certainly seems to fit the bill. I checked the driver list for SCP1 and it's pretty extensive. The dongle is currently about US$270 from USCutter; even if there's no free trial, a one month subscription is only $24. Seems pretty reasonable.

Glad I finally posted something, that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find. Much appreciated!

Edit: That driverlist includes several RedSail models, BTW.

12 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

actually the Saga cutters are quite a bit better than redsail - redsail is like the refine MH cutters for comparison 

You know that market better than me. I looked up Redsail and it took me to the Saga cutters in a round about way. 

smj just be sure if you are looking at cutters that you understand the difference between the stepper motors and the servo. There are different grades of quality within the two as well. Some of the higher end cutters that still run a stepper are a better built stepper than the bargain barrel variety. I assume same rules apply to servo motors as well. You really do get what you pay for with cutters. Be sure and do your homework.